docx/lxml

cyrille.leroux

Hello,

I'm trying to use the docx package to generate documents containing some text and tables.

I don't want to install any module since I just want my coworkers to copy adirectory and run a script, without installing tons of softwares (Just python2.7 which is already installed).

First, I downloaded docx package, copied the docx directory I found. Then, I added its path (sys.path.append())

But it complained it missed a lxml package. Ok, I downloaded it, copied thelxml directory.

This time, it wanted a etree.py file. I search and found it is generated during installation... But I don't want to install it ! I searched again, andfound that anyway, even if I install it to get this file, it will need other libraries... At this point, I already lost too much time, so I quit. It's way too much work for what I have to do.

[My questions :]

- Do you know any *easy to use*, *easy to deploy* package to generate ".doclike" documents ?
- Do you have any suggestion to do it differently (maybe with native packages ?)

- As a python newby, I don't understand why you have to go through the painof installing packages since they should be able to work with just the __init__.py files ?

Regards,

Cyrille

Pedro Kroger

- Do you know any *easy to use*, *easy to deploy* package to generate ".doc like" documents ?
- Do you have any suggestion to do it differently (maybe with native packages ?)

- As a python newby, I don't understand why you have to go through the pain of installing packages since they should be able to work with just the __init__.py files ?

Regards,

Cyrille

Hi,

May I suggest you use pip and, possibly, virtualenv?
pip makes it easy to install Python packages while virtualenv creates an isolated Python environment

For instance, I just installed docx and its dependencies with:

pip install docx lxml datutils PIL

And I did that inside a testing virtualenv, so I wouldn't mess up my Python setup.

pip and virtualenv make it really easy and painless to install Python packages.

Cheers,

Pedro

Cyrille Leroux

Hi,

May I suggest you use pip and, possibly, virtualenv?

pip makes it easy to install Python packages while virtualenv creates an isolated Python environment

For instance, I just installed docx and its dependencies with:

pip install docx lxml datutils PIL

And I did that inside a testing virtualenv, so I wouldn't mess up my Python setup.

pip and virtualenv make it really easy and painless to install Python packages.

Cheers,

Pedro

-----

http://pedrokroger.net

http://musicforgeeksandnerds.com

Thank you for your quick reply Pedro.

I'm giving pip a try :

1/ Linux (debian lenny)
- (as root) sh setuptools-0.6c11-py2.7.egg (ok)
- (as root) cd pip-1.1 ; python setup.py install (ok)
- pip : ImportError : No module named pkg_resources
- damn, I guess it's going to be a pain, again
- ... then I remember that anyway, I cannot access internet from my session
- end of story for linux

2/ Back on Windows (7)

- setuptools-0.6c11.win32-py2.7.exe (ok)
- (cmd) easy_install.exe pip : AttributeError : 'NoneType' object has no attribute 'clone'

Well, I think I'm starting to feel less and less enthusiastic about python... I didn't suspect it would be so difficult to write a basic doc file :)

[...]

Stefan Behnel

Cyrille Leroux, 31.07.2012 17:01:
I'm giving pip a try :

1/ Linux (debian lenny)
- (as root) sh setuptools-0.6c11-py2.7.egg (ok)
- (as root) cd pip-1.1 ; python setup.py install (ok)
- pip : ImportError : No module named pkg_resources
- damn, I guess it's going to be a pain, again
- ... then I remember that anyway, I cannot access internet from my session
- end of story for linux

2/ Back on Windows (7)

- setuptools-0.6c11.win32-py2.7.exe (ok)
- (cmd) easy_install.exe pip : AttributeError : 'NoneType' object has no attribute 'clone'

Well, I think I'm starting to feel less and less enthusiastic about python... I didn't suspect it would be so difficult to write a basic doc file :)

"pip" goes with "distribute", not "setuptools".

http://packages.python.org/distribute/

Stefan