Does anyone pay attention to standards?

Whitecrest

Yes. Except there is no current HTML standard that allows its use.

Yea, but is a plus for my argument. If you stick to standards, you
can't make it work on your visitors computers without a work around of
some sort. When the non standard solution is supported by virtually
every browser.

Shawn K. Quinn

Eric said:
I LIKE Flash...I'd just like to see it used well more than 0.1% of the
time

I never really cared much for Flash, and being on a browser and platform
without a Flash plugin has been nearly the best browsing experience of my
life (at times, the sort of euphoria of my first serious Web browsing, back
in 1996).

kchayka

Whitecrest said:
Sure it is.

I hope you never do software development. ;) Ever hear of project
management? Requirements gathering? Designing something without first
gathering adequate requirements is a good way to produce crap. Letting a
designer have free reign to do what they like is another.

Whitecrest

I hope you never do software development. ;)

I have won numerous awards for software development, to include the
Summit Award for top software developer, and development team leader
team at MCI/WCOM. (I created the Intimate Knowledge Component IKC, which
allows applications from any platform to speak to other applications on
different platforms.)

Additionally, I have won several educational awards (from Central Texas
College) for developing tests (educational tests) for the computer
science department in PACRIM.
Ever hear of project
management? Requirements gathering? Designing something without first
gathering adequate requirements is a good way to produce crap. Letting a
designer have free reign to do what they like is another.

Yes, which is why you should not depend on crappy supported standards.
I preach, you have to understand what the site is trying to accomplish,
and the audience that you are trying to reach. Which is interestingly
enough, exactly what you are saying too.

(ps, I thought this thread was dead)