Does ASP support forwarding to a new URL?

Chris Geiss

I know that the Response.Redirect method allows me to redirect the
user's browser to a new URL. JavaServer Pages provides two choices. A
redirect as in ASP, or a forward where the same request is sent to
another URL/page for continued processing, without a trip back to the
client browser. My question is does ASP support this forward mechanism
also? I have searched the MS documentation, Google, and this newsgroup
and have not found any indication that a forward capability is
supported in ASP. But before I assume there is no support I was hoping
someone in this group might be able to confirm for me whether or not
this capability exists. Or, is there some mechanism by which a forward
feature can be implemented?

Chris Geiss

Ray,

Thank you for your quick reply. Yes it does look like Server.Transfer is
what I am looking for. Do you know if this will permit transfer from an
ASP page to a JSP page? That is what I need to do. I understand that ASP
session and application variables would be meaningless in such a
transfer and that is fine, I just need to know if ASP will permit a
Transfer to a JSP. Also, unfortunately this is for an IIS 4 web site, so
obviosuly we have some upgrading to do to support this feature.

-- Chris

Ray at

I don't know. Maybe someone else who's running jsp pages and IIS5 can try.
Anyone? If jsp pages run within IIS, I would imagine it would be fine, but
if jsp is its whole own web-server package, not a plug-in for IIS, I suppose
it won't work.

Ray at work

Chris Hohmann

Ray at said:
I don't know. Maybe someone else who's running jsp pages and IIS5 can try.
Anyone? If jsp pages run within IIS, I would imagine it would be fine, but
if jsp is its whole own web-server package, not a plug-in for IIS, I suppose
it won't work.

No, jsp will not work. Here's an except from Server.Transfer
documentation page:

The Transfer method sends all of the information that has been assembled
for processing by one .asp file to a second .asp file.

Chris Geiss

Chris,

I saw the statement in the documentation that "The Transfer method sends
all of the information that has been assembled for processing by one
.asp file to a second .asp file." But since Microsoft often approaches
things from a Microsoft only perspective (as in "why would someone want
to link a JSP page to an ASP page") I did not want to assume that this
necessarily precluded transferring to non-asp pages. I was hoping
someone in the group might have had specific experience with this. I
could of course run some experiments myself, but that would require
upgrading to IIS 5 first and I was trying to do some homework to see if
it was even possible before taking that step.

Thanks for the info!

-- Chris