does Ruby generate WINDOWS and dialog boxes?

John Wilger

John said:
Most likely, I would
go with something like Flex[1] for the client, since it's relatively
painless to distribute upgrades that way.Mind you, this is what I said in my first reply to Richard in the first
place and then went along with the idea. I didn't say the architecture
is an ideal one or one I would pick, just not without redeeming value of
-some sort-.

OK, I must have just missed that post. This thread has about two or
three topics in it, and I was only half following it when I decided to
speak up on that architecture. I went back and skimmed through it to
make sure I wasn't saying something that was already said, but I didn't
re-read every single post closely. Apologies if I offended.

Richard

Hey David and John,

It was all my fault. My goal for my first Ruby/Rails project is really
an Accounts Receivable system for a client. The client has a small
business system written in 1980. It is based on 1980 versions of
FilePro and SCO . They asked me to make some minor change to it. The
code was so ugly (in my eyes; I had no interest in learning a dead
version of a 4GL language) that I offered to look into using Ruby and
Rails to build a piece of it that would import/export relevant data
from the SCO box.

So while trying to come up to speed on RoR I was envisioning the
simplest architecture I could get away with. In starting to write the
app, I had the thing starting to take shape on my machine. When I
posted my question about the architecture, I inadvertently glossed
over the fact that I ultimately had to have a data server.

So I apologize for having such muddled thinking. But despite my
sloppiness, you guys managed to see through my haze and pointed me in
the right direction. I'm on a roll now!

Best wishes,
Richard

John said:
John said:
Most likely, I would
go with something like Flex[1] for the client, since it's relatively
painless to distribute upgrades that way.Mind you, this is what I said in my first reply to Richard in the first
place and then went along with the idea. I didn't say the architecture
is an ideal one or one I would pick, just not without redeeming value of
-some sort-.

OK, I must have just missed that post. This thread has about two or
three topics in it, and I was only half following it when I decided to
speak up on that architecture. I went back and skimmed through it to
make sure I wasn't saying something that was already said, but I didn't
re-read every single post closely. Apologies if I offended.

Alex Young

Martin said:
Apart from the TkCanvas, which is utterly brilliant. How many other
toolkits give you a vector-oriented canvas, in which you can draw
graphical objects that respond to click events, for free?
WPF?

I've been increasingly interested by what's going on in Ruby.NET, for
exactly that reason.

Gregor Kopp

Alex said:
I've been increasingly interested by what's going on in Ruby.NET, for
exactly that reason.

I'm looking bout every few weeks on the site of the compiler, but there
doesn't seem to happen anything more.
I've postet on their google group to ask for it, they told me, that they
are working on a Ruby-Implementation-Testing suite, to compare
"Vanilla"-Ruby, JRuby, and Ruby.NET on the way how they work or
something else.... The last thing I heard were some discussions about
implementing a new Framework for this issue (last post there Sep. 2006)

Badly, there's nothing going on - so i think its dead already.

Project Site: http://plas.fit.qut.edu.au/Ruby.NET/
Google Group (ruby.net): http://groups.google.com/group/RubyDOTNET
Google Group (RubyTest): http://groups.google.com/group/RubyTests