Does YARV bring us closer to Ruby for embedded machines

Forrest Chang

Hi All:

Wondering if getting a VM for Ruby means we could create a stripped
down Ruby VM (RubyME?) for embedded applications? I've been wanting
to write some apps for my phone or PDA and was dreading having to use J2ME. RubyME could be a good thing.

Forrest

gregarican

You don't have to use J2ME for developing on these units. I just
finished up work on a CRM app written in Ruby that I ported over to a
Embedix Linux ARM processor PDA and am going to try to port it over to
a Windows Mobile 5.0 ARM processor PDA next. That should be a good
challenge. Ruby is working on the Windows Mobile 5.0 test unit I'm
working on, but the GUI toolkit inclusion is another matter :)

I know that the complete Ruby fileset takes up a decent amount of space
and it doesn't work as lean and mean as a Ruby VM executing bytecode,
but for my distributions I included only the core Ruby files and
extensions that my app requires. It wasn't that large of a distribution
for my app's installation. Of course being able to package everything
into bytecode to pass to a Ruby VM would be even more of a win...

Lyndon Samson

------=_Part_16561_13967705.1128471095445
Wondering if getting a VM for Ruby means we could create a stripped
down Ruby VM (RubyME?) for embedded applications? I've been wanting
to write some apps for my phone or PDA and was dreading having to use
J2ME. RubyME could be a good thing.
jruby on J2ME?

Charles Mills

Forrest said:
Hi All:

Wondering if getting a VM for Ruby means we could create a stripped
down Ruby VM (RubyME?) for embedded applications? I've been wanting
to write some apps for my phone or PDA and was dreading having to use J2ME. RubyME could be a good thing.

Forrest

I think for embedded apps creating a VM will be only half the battle.
The other half being building a faster GC with less latency.

-Charlie

Karl von Laudermann

Forrest said:
Wondering if getting a VM for Ruby means we could create a stripped
down Ruby VM (RubyME?) for embedded applications? I've been wanting
to write some apps for my phone or PDA and was dreading having to use J2ME. RubyME could be a good thing.

Not Ruby related, but instead of using J2ME, I highly recommend you
take a look at SuperWaba (http://www.superwaba.com.br/en/default.asp).

SASADA Koichi

Hi,

Forrest said:
Hi All:

Wondering if getting a VM for Ruby means we could create a stripped
down Ruby VM (RubyME?) for embedded applications? I've been wanting
to write some apps for my phone or PDA and was dreading having to use J2ME. RubyME could be a good thing.

YARV doesn't care consuming memories. I want to try porting YARV on
resource limited machine someday. Fortunately, YARV uses VM generator
to build, so it's easy to develop YARV for embedded h/w.

And Charlie pointed out, real time GC is also important.

Romuald du Song

Could you share your ruby version on Windows Mobile 5 ?
I'm having hard time trying to rebuild 1.8.4 from source for a Windows
Mobile 5 PDA.