doing a search

middletree

Intranet tech support system using ASP/VBScript running on W2000 Server,
IIS, and using SQL Server 2000. I need to add a search engine. The problem
with using a regular SQL query is that if you put a phrase, say "red car" in
the text box, to hit submit, my SQL qurey would only look for that phrase,
and would leave out other items where the words red and car appeared
separately. I guess what I am saying is that I would like something like
Google or other search engines, which would find results which seem to fit
the criteria typed into the box, and rank them and highlight key words.

My research so far has shown me that SQL Server has something called
Full-Text searching, and I have tried to read up on that in BOL, but not
really seeing how I can apply it. I wonder if there's already some tutorials
or sample code out there. I have done some looking on the Web, but still
haven't found much. Does anyone here know where I can look? Having some
sample code would be best.

Bob Barrows [MVP]

middletree said:
[...]

Unfortunately, I've never done anything with full-text indexing.
There's a newsgroup devoted to fulltext issues:
microsoft.public.sqlserver.fulltext. You may get an answer there.

Bob Barrows

middletree

Yes, I've spent the last month looking at posts there. I was just hoping
there might be a tutorial already written somewhere, sample code to get me
started. Oh well.

middletree

This looks good. Thanks. I guess I was doing all my searches on sites like
4guysfromrolla and aspfaq and other 3rd-party sites. I should have done a
better job of going to the original source.