don't understand namespaces...

Lawrence Hanser

Dear Pythoners,

I think I do not yet have a good understanding of namespaces. Here is
what I have in broad outline form:

------------------------------------
import Tkinter

Class App(Frame)
define two frames, buttons in one and Listbox in the other

Class App2(Frame)
define one frame with a Text widget in it

root = Tk()
app = App(root)
win2 = Toplevel(root)
app2 = App2(win2)
root.mainloop()
------------------------------------

My understanding of the above goes like this:
1) create a root window
2) instantiate a class that defines a Frame in the root window
3) create another Toplevel window
4) instantiate another class that defines a frame in the Toplevel window (win2)

What I cannot figure out is how to reference a widget in app2 from app...

I hope this is sort of clear.

Any assistance appreciated.

Thanks,

Larry

Mike Driscoll

[...]

It depends on how you're doing this. If the first frame opens the 2nd
frame, then you can have a handle to the 2nd in the 1st. Something
like this:

self.newFrame = NewFrame()

Then you can get at the attributes of the 2nd frame:

self.newFrame.SomeWidget.GetSomeValue()

If you're opening both at the same time, you'll have to come up with
something else, like Queues or pubsub.

- Mike

Simon Forman

[...]

There are lots of different ways to do this in python. If you were to
set an instance variable to the widget you're interested in in the
__init__() method of the App2 class, i.e. self.some_name = Text(...),
then you can pass it to a method of App as a parameter.

class App(Frame):
def doSomething(self, widget):
do something with the widget...
app.doSomething(app2.some_name)

In your case, I think this is what you might want to do:

class App(Frame):
def setWidget(self, widget):
self.widget = widget

root = Tk()
app = App(root)
win2 = Toplevel(root)
app2 = App2(win2)
app.setWidget(app2.some_name)
root.mainloop()

Then code in App can use self.widget to access the widget.

HTH,
~Simon

norseman

....(snip) # you already have Simon's approach and I'm just shorting the
overall reply.

---------------------------------

IF you think each widget is supposed to be a program,
I would have to say NO!

Each widget is just a pretty interface to the human.

build your program!
use the GUI to communicate with the human IN LIEU OF A COMMAND LINE. !!
That is all the GUI is for.!!!!(teacher stomping foot, shaking finger :)

instead of print() do msgbox()
instead of getch() do textbox()
instead of (command line thingy) do (GUI thingy)

and so on.
Your program is a program.
It just communicates differently.
Remember: Designing for the clicker is designing for the brain dead. :)
(True - not in all cases, but mostly)

import Tkinter
help(Tkinter)
(read!)

in short

import Tkinter # load lib

root= Tk # use template, go live

main= Frame(root,... # the mockup board
frame1= Frame(main,... # frame1 will be found inside main
frame2= Frame(main,.... # frame2 will be found inside main
button1= Button(frame1,... # button1 will be found inside frame1
frame3= Frame(root,... # frame3 will float about on its own
msgbox1= MsgBox(where,... # and so it goes
..
..
root.mainloop() # run it

Those widgets with a callback= allowed can send their answers to a
function that has has been defined previously *above* in the code.

MyYNVal= StrVal() # here they are before example below
MyYNVal.set("*") # to be used with above example they
#
#
def somehandler(): # need to be in same order and
a_global= MyYNVal.get() # before the root= line
root.quit() #

rbframe= Frame(Tk,...
rb1= Radiobutton(rbframe,....., variable=MyYNVal, value= "N",
command=somehandler, ... )
rb2= Radiobutton(rbframe,....., variable=MyYNVal, value= "Y",
command=somehandler, ... )

program calls GUI # how? encapsulate widgets in a def name()
# name()
human pushes button of choice which sets MyYNVal and calls somehandler
which returns to program
human_said= a_global
if human_said == "Y":
program process accordingly
else:
program process accordingly
..
..

Does that help?

And Yes - you can pre-edit/validate the GUI entries while still in the
GUI. It gets a bit complicated because anything Tkinter is to use is
already defined by time of use. Read that sentence again.
(One pass interpreter. The pre-scan is for syntax only. It does not
build address or set variables until actual run.
)

Today: 20090430
snippets are generalized for concept

HTH