Double replace or single re.sub?

Iain King

I have some code that converts html into xhtml. For example, convert
all <i> tags into <em>. Right now I need to do to string.replace calls
for every tag:

html = html.replace('<i>','<em>')
html = html.replace('</i>','</em>')

I can change this to a single call to re.sub:

html = re.sub('<([/]*)i>', r'<\1em>', html)

Would this be a quicker/better way of doing it?

Iain

Mike Meyer

Iain King said:
I have some code that converts html into xhtml. For example, convert
all <i> tags into <em>. Right now I need to do to string.replace calls
for every tag:

html = html.replace('<i>','<em>')
html = html.replace('</i>','</em>')

I can change this to a single call to re.sub:

html = re.sub('<([/]*)i>', r'<\1em>', html)

Would this be a quicker/better way of doing it?

Maybe. You could measure it and see. But neither will work in the face
of attributes or whitespace in the tag.

If you're going to parse [X]HTML, you really should use tools that are
designed for the job. If you have well-formed HTML, you can use the
htmllib parser in the standard library. If you have the usual crap one
finds on the web, I recommend BeautifulSoup.

<mike

Iain King

Mike said:
Iain King said:
I have some code that converts html into xhtml. For example, convert
all <i> tags into <em>. Right now I need to do to string.replace calls
for every tag:

html = html.replace('<i>','<em>')
html = html.replace('</i>','</em>')

I can change this to a single call to re.sub:

html = re.sub('<([/]*)i>', r'<\1em>', html)

Would this be a quicker/better way of doing it?

Maybe. You could measure it and see. But neither will work in the face
of attributes or whitespace in the tag.

If you're going to parse [X]HTML, you really should use tools that are
designed for the job. If you have well-formed HTML, you can use the
htmllib parser in the standard library. If you have the usual crap one
finds on the web, I recommend BeautifulSoup.

Thanks. My initial post overstates the program a bit - what I actually
have is a cgi script which outputs my LIveJournal, which I then
server-side include in my home page (so my home page also displays the
latest X entries in my livejournal). The only html I need to convert
is the stuff that LJ spews out, which, while bad, isn't terrible, and
is fairly consistent. The stuff I need to convert is mostly stuff I
write myself in journal entries, so it doesn't have to be so
comprehensive that I'd need something like BeautifulSoup. I'm not
trying to parse it, just clean it up a little.

Iain

Josef Meile

Hi Iain,
> Would this be a quicker/better way of doing it?
I don't know if this is faster, but it is for sure more elegant:

http://groups.google.ch/group/comp.lang.python/msg/67b8767c793fb8b0

I really like it because of its simplicity an easy use. (Thanks to
Fredrik Lundh for the script). However, I suggested it once to replace
the approach you suggested in a web application we have, but it was
rejected because the person, who benchmarked it, said that it was OK for
small strings, but for larger ones performance were an issue. Anyway,
for my own applications, performance isn't an issue, so, I use it some
times.

By the way, the benchmarking, from which I don't have any information,
was done in python 2.1.3, so, for sure you will get a better performance
with 2.4.

Regards,
Josef

Iain said:
I have some code that converts html into xhtml. For example, convert
all <i> tags into <em>. Right now I need to do to string.replace calls
for every tag:

html = html.replace('<i>','<em>')
html = html.replace('</i>','</em>')

I can change this to a single call to re.sub:

html = re.sub('<([/]*)i>', r'<\1em>', html)

EP

How does Python execute something like the following

oldPhrase="My dog has fleas on his knees"
newPhrase=oldPhrase.replace("fleas",
"wrinkles").replace("knees","face")

Does it do two iterations of the replace method on the initial and then
an intermediate string (my guess) -- or does it compile to something
more efficient (I doubt it, unless it's Christmas in Pythonville... but
I thought I'd query)

Bengt Richter

How does Python execute something like the following

oldPhrase="My dog has fleas on his knees"
newPhrase=oldPhrase.replace("fleas",
"wrinkles").replace("knees","face")

Does it do two iterations of the replace method on the initial and then
an intermediate string (my guess) -- or does it compile to something
more efficient (I doubt it, unless it's Christmas in Pythonville... but
I thought I'd query)
Here's a way to get an answer in one form:
... oldPhrase="My dog has fleas on his knees"
... newPhrase=oldPhrase.replace("fleas",
... "wrinkles").replace("knees","face")
... 2 0 LOAD_CONST 1 ('My dog has fleas on his knees')
3 STORE_FAST 1 (oldPhrase)

3 6 LOAD_FAST 1 (oldPhrase)
9 LOAD_ATTR 1 (replace)
12 LOAD_CONST 2 ('fleas')

4 15 LOAD_CONST 3 ('wrinkles')
18 CALL_FUNCTION 2
21 LOAD_ATTR 1 (replace)
24 LOAD_CONST 4 ('knees')
27 LOAD_CONST 5 ('face')
30 CALL_FUNCTION 2
33 STORE_FAST 0 (newPhrase)
36 LOAD_CONST 0 (None)
39 RETURN_VALUE

Regards,
Bengt Richter

Alex Martelli

Iain King said:
I have some code that converts html into xhtml. For example, convert
all <i> tags into <em>. Right now I need to do to string.replace calls
for every tag:

html = html.replace('<i>','<em>')
html = html.replace('</i>','</em>')

I can change this to a single call to re.sub:

html = re.sub('<([/]*)i>', r'<\1em>', html)

Would this be a quicker/better way of doing it?

*MEASURE*!

Helen:~/Desktop alex$ python -m timeit -s'import re; h= said:
100000 loops, best of 3: 4.41 usec per loop

Helen:~/Desktop alex$ python -m timeit -s'import re; h="<i>aap</i>"' \>
10000 loops, best of 3: 52.9 usec per loop
Helen:~/Desktop alex$

timeit.py is your friend, remember this...!

Alex