doubt regarding mmap() function call

sam_cit

Hi Everyone,

I searched for mmap() and i found the following in wikipedia,

'Anonymous mappings are mappings of physical RAM to virtual memory.
This is similar to malloc, and is used in some malloc implementations
for certain allocations'

I understood that the memory contents are mapped to files using
mmap()

However, from the following link,

http://ou800doc.caldera.com/en/man/html.2/mmap.2.html

I understand that mmap() just avoids read/write concept of a file and
makes sure that files are accessed as raw memory.

Can anyone help me as to what is correct about mmap()?

Thanks in advance!!!