Doubt to go .Net technology

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Igbal, Nov 8, 2003.

  1. Igbal

    Igbal Guest

    Hi,

    There is doubt to proceed.

    There is a product here in VB 6.0 and SQL server.
    It's 3 tier architecture.

    1. Front end.
    2. Business Logic.
    3. Back end.

    There are 3 options to do on this product:

    1. LAN. (Front end and business logic r in the local machines)
    2. WAN (Front end in the client machine and business logic and Database in
    the server machine)
    3. Web (Browser and all others in the server machine)

    In the above 3 options, For to convert to .Net environment, Is it
    easy(advisable) to do in terms of development and execution time?

    Consider the following before answer:

    1. Execution time compared with VB 6.0 application.
    2. Developement time for migrating.
    3. Use the business logic as it is (COM) or new (Assembly)
    4. VB (Client server) to ASP.Net (Web application)
    5. Future technology.
    6. System Configuration.

    Suggest me as soon as possible.

    Thanks in advance.

    --
    Thanks and Regards,
    E.S.Mohammed Igbal M.Sc.

    Igbal, Nov 8, 2003

  2. If your app works and is relatively "done", then stay with VB6. If you're
    planning to do significant new development then you should consider the
    migration path to VB .NET. Odds are you will be able to migrate your
    existing codebase to VB .NET with minimal effort. Future investment from
    Microsoft is going to be heavily weighted towards managed code (although
    legacy technologies continue to be supported as always) so getting to VB
    ..NET for new development is the best way to go.

    Ed Kaim [MSFT], Nov 17, 2003