Doubts in dynamic binding of dropdownlist

Saranya

Hi friends

I m Saranya.In my coding there r 2 tables 1.category 2.designation

1.contains category id,category name

2.category id,designation id,designation name

in my interface there is a add button from where i added designation
details with category id fetched from category master.

in my bind i m showing all details from designation

my doubt is

i shud display category name in item template n in edititem template i
shud display a dropdownlist with items displaying from my database
category(category names list)

with the item selected.
the user can also change the category names listed in dropdown

how to achieve this?