Doubts

java

Hi,
I am a computer science degree student...I have a couple of doubts...
is .net platform independent ?
I have learned VB and recently i had gone through a VB.net programming
book....I couldnt make a difference between these 2...is there any?
which will be wiser to use for my project "file recovery
system"....java or .net?
Regards.....

Bjorn Abelli

I am a computer science degree student...I have a couple
of doubts... is .net platform independent ?

In a generic sense, yes.

..NET itself is platform independent such as it can run on any platform with
a CLR, just in the same way as Java is platform independent.

On the other hand, there exist virtual machines for Java on many more
platforms than there are for .NET.
I have learned VB and recently i had gone through a VB.net
programming book....I couldnt make a difference between
these 2...is there any?

Absolutely!

I would rather say they are two completely different languages, although
they have a lot of syntactical similarities.
which will be wiser to use for my project "file recovery
system"....java or .net?

With that sparse information on what your "file recovery system" is supposed
to do, I'd rather say ... neither.

If you e.g. mean a system that can "repair corrupt files in the file
system", you would anyway end up in a language with capabilities to approach
lower levels of the OS, i.e. the platform independence is needed to be lost.

// Bjorn A

java

hi,
Thanks for the answers...
but still there r some more doubts regarding vb and vb.net..
i havent found any difference between these two...
is it tht one is platform independent and the other is not?

Bjorn Abelli

but still there r some more doubts regarding vb and vb.net..
i havent found any difference between these two...
is it tht one is platform independent and the other is not?

That's only one of the differences, although not fully true either.

Languages themselves are always platform independent. The development
environments that can make use of them can or cannot be platform
independent.

It would take too long to write down all of the differences between the two,
but one of the main differences (language wise) is that VB.NET is more
object oriented than VB ever was.

But now this thread has no connection to programming in Java anymore.

I'd suggest you ask about further differences between VB and VB.NET in a
more appropriate newgroup, e.g.

// Bjorn A

Dag Sunde

java said:
Hi,
I am a computer science degree student...I have a couple of doubts...
is .net platform independent ?
I have learned VB and recently i had gone through a VB.net programming
book....I couldnt make a difference between these 2...is there any?

I use VB (6.0) ans VB.NET on a daily basis, and except from some
syntax similarities, I can't see *anything* that is common between
them. To my eyes they are two completely different languages with
a wastly different midset and approach...
which will be wiser to use for my project "file recovery
system"....java or .net?

Asking in this group...?

but... "File Recovery" implies down to the metal, and then you
need JNI if you choose Java. And since the other choice is .NET,
we're talking about windows...

My choice would have been VB6 if yoy want to write a file
recovery system for windows, where you need to get down to the
file-system directly...

Scott Ellsworth

java said:
Hi,
I am a computer science degree student...I have a couple of doubts...
is .net platform independent ?

Not really, IMO. The mono project is well funded, but limited in some
important ways. Rotor cannot be used commercially. There are Java VMs,
on the other hand, for many platforms. (That said, if what you need to
do is in Mono, then you can write C# that works anywhere.)

If you really care about platform independence, look into Java, or pay
very, very close attention to what Mono does well, and what it does
poorly. Further, consider learning C# rather than VB.net, as that seems
to be getting more support in the mono world.
I have learned VB and recently i had gone through a VB.net programming
book....I couldnt make a difference between these 2...is there any?

My (limited) understanding says they are essentially entirely different
languages and libraries with only a few similarities of syntax.
which will be wiser to use for my project "file recovery
system"....java or .net?

Depends on what you know, and what you need to do. If the project is
windows only, then C# .NET is going to get the job done. For
win/lin/mac, you look at Java, or the Mono subset of .NET, or perhaps
Perl or Python or Ruby, depending on what you need to do.

Now, a 'file recovery system' probably needs to call things outside the
ken of the Java or C# APIs. Figure out the hardest thing to do, and
then see if your language of choice has a pre-built module for it. Many
people I know love Perl, because there is a module for everything that
nearly works.

Scott