Dowload Progress

Jerry Camel

How do you tell the client how large the file that's being downloaded is?
I've seen web sites where the download dialog shows a progress meter. I'm
assuming that the server is sending the file size prior to download. Maybe
in the "Content-Disposition" header? Thanks.

Jerry

Eric Lawrence [MSFT]

The filesize is sent in the Content-Length header. If this header is
omitted, IE has no idea how big the file is and thus cannot show a progress
meter.

--
Thanks,

Eric Lawrence
Program Manager
Assistance and Worldwide Services

Jerry Camel

Thanks. I had "ContentLength" that I pulled from another post. The dash
makes all the difference.

Where is some good documentation on this kind of stuff. I'm new to web
stuff, I can write the code but I'm not familiar with this kind of stuff.

Jerry

Eric Lawrence [MSFT]

I very highly recommend the O'Reilly book "HTTP The Definitive Reference".
It's been extremely helpful and has only one serious (non-typo) mistake I
ran across.