downloading web pages in watir

michael

could anybody tell me how to download web pages accessed through
watir??

thanks

michael

Brian Cowdery

michael said:
could anybody tell me how to download web pages accessed through
watir??

thanks

michael

While there isn't any methods in Watir to directly download a webpage to
a file, you can get the HTML content yourself and do your own file
writing.

for example;

ie = Watir::IE.new
ie.goto('www.google.ca')

File.open('google.html', "wb") { |f|
f << '<html>'
f << ie.html
f << '</html>'
}

Note that the Watir.ie.html method returns the document.body, which does
not include the opening and closing <html> tags - so you'll need to
include them in the file writing block.

michael

thanks..

body is all I want..

okay.. let's suppose i would like to download 'www.yahoo.com', and save
it as c:\yahoo\yahoo.htm

would you show me how I can realize this in ruby, watir??

thank you so much..

michael

Chris McMahon

Note that the Watir.ie.html method returns the document.body, which does
not include the opening and closing <html> tags - so you'll need to
include them in the file writing block.

Also note that Watir does *not* return the actual HTML. It returns the
DOM, represented as HTML. As an example, HTML generated from Watir's
"ie.html:" always has closed <p> tags, but the page itself might not.
This causes trouble sometimes.