Dr. Dobb's Python-URL! - weekly Python news and links (Apr 11)

Discussion in 'Python' started by Simon Brunning, Apr 11, 2005.

  1. QOTW: "I think my code is clearer, but I wouldn't go so far as to say I'm
    violently opposed to your code. I save violent opposition for really
    important matters like which text editor you use." - Roy Smith

    "You need to recursively subdivide the cake until you have a piece small
    enough to fit in your input buffer. Then the atomicity of the cake-ingestion
    operation will become apparent." - Scott David Daniels

    Various Python Meetup groups are meeting this week:
    http://python.meetup.com/

    wxPython 2.5.5.1 is out...
    http://groups-beta.google.com/group...read/thread/7ca6358d54c9c617/84330473f542e5a6
    ... for those that don't hate it.
    http://fraca7.free.fr/blog/index.php?2005/04/04/10-a-word-about-guis

    A couple of nice cookbook recipes - check your docstring coverage, and let Python tell you what you meant to type.
    http://aspn.activestate.com/ASPN/Cookbook/Python/Recipe/355731
    http://aspn.activestate.com/ASPN/Cookbook/Python/Recipe/409000

    Exceptions are't just for errors in Python.
    http://groups-beta.google.com/group...read/thread/925f0b16cf56c2ab/793e0ab436c91d48

    The martellibot's working for Google!
    http://groups-beta.google.com/group...read/thread/c9d075e5f6b1f934/d6256652f5ffcc50

    Backup your del.icio.usly linked pages to Gmail.
    http://llimllib.f2o.org/blog/serve/entry/delbackup

    How to tell whether a wave function corresponds to bosons or fermions.
    http://groups-beta.google.com/group...read/thread/e9cce91f429bc540/d78c7eec409154a4
    No, I'm none the wiser, either. Still, some interesting algorithms in there.

    Rolling your own __deepcopy__.
    http://groups-beta.google.com/group...read/thread/41269228e1827a87/444ac776c4ffe00f

    IronPython is getting good coverage these days.
    http://informationweek.com/story/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=160403713

    Everything Python-related you want is probably one or two clicks away in
    these pages:

    Python.org's Python Language Website is the traditional
    center of Pythonia
    http://www.python.org
    Notice especially the master FAQ
    http://www.python.org/doc/FAQ.html

    PythonWare complements the digest you're reading with the
    marvelous daily python url
    http://www.pythonware.com/daily
    Mygale is a news-gathering webcrawler that specializes in (new)
    World-Wide Web articles related to Python.
    http://www.awaretek.com/nowak/mygale.html
    While cosmetically similar, Mygale and the Daily Python-URL
    are utterly different in their technologies and generally in
    their results.

    For far, FAR more Python reading than any one mind should
    absorb, much of it quite interesting, several pages index
    much of the universe of Pybloggers.
    http://lowlife.jp/cgi-bin/moin.cgi/PythonProgrammersWeblog
    http://www.planetpython.org/
    http://mechanicalcat.net/pyblagg.html

    comp.lang.python.announce announces new Python software. Be
    sure to scan this newsgroup weekly.
    http://groups.google.com/groups?oi=djq&as_ugroup=comp.lang.python.announce

    Brett Cannon continues the marvelous tradition established by
    Andrew Kuchling and Michael Hudson of intelligently summarizing
    action on the python-dev mailing list once every other week.
    http://www.python.org/dev/summary/

    The Python Package Index catalogues packages.
    http://www.python.org/pypi/

    The somewhat older Vaults of Parnassus ambitiously collects references
    to all sorts of Python resources.
    http://www.vex.net/~x/parnassus/

    Much of Python's real work takes place on Special-Interest Group
    mailing lists
    http://www.python.org/sigs/

    The Python Business Forum "further the interests of companies
    that base their business on ... Python."
    http://www.python-in-business.org

    Python Success Stories--from air-traffic control to on-line
    match-making--can inspire you or decision-makers to whom you're
    subject with a vision of what the language makes practical.
    http://www.pythonology.com/success

    The Python Software Foundation (PSF) has replaced the Python
    Consortium as an independent nexus of activity. It has official
    responsibility for Python's development and maintenance.
    http://www.python.org/psf/
    Among the ways you can support PSF is with a donation.
    http://www.python.org/psf/donate.html

    Kurt B. Kaiser publishes a weekly report on faults and patches.
    http://www.google.com/groups?as_usubject=weekly python patch

    Cetus collects Python hyperlinks.
    http://www.cetus-links.org/oo_python.html

    Python FAQTS
    http://python.faqts.com/

    The Cookbook is a collaborative effort to capture useful and
    interesting recipes.
    http://aspn.activestate.com/ASPN/Cookbook/Python

    Among several Python-oriented RSS/RDF feeds available are
    http://www.python.org/channews.rdf
    http://bootleg-rss.g-blog.net/pythonware_com_daily.pcgi
    http://python.de/backend.php
    For more, see
    http://www.syndic8.com/feedlist.php?ShowMatch=python&ShowStatus=all
    The old Python "To-Do List" now lives principally in a
    SourceForge reincarnation.
    http://sourceforge.net/tracker/?atid=355470&group_id=5470&func=browse
    http://python.sourceforge.net/peps/pep-0042.html

    The online Python Journal is posted at pythonjournal.cognizor.com.
    and
    welcome submission of material that helps people's understanding
    of Python use, and offer Web presentation of your work.

    del.icio.us presents an intriguing approach to reference commentary.
    It already aggregates quite a bit of Python intelligence.
    http://del.icio.us/tag/python

    *Py: the Journal of the Python Language*
    http://www.pyzine.com

    Archive probing tricks of the trade:
    http://groups.google.com/groups?oi=djq&as_ugroup=comp.lang.python&num=100
    http://groups.google.com/groups?meta=site=groups&group=comp.lang.python.*

    Previous - (U)se the (R)esource, (L)uke! - messages are listed here:
    http://groups-beta.google.com/groups?q=python-url group:comp.lang.python*&start=0&scoring=d&
    http://purl.org/thecliff/python/url.html (dormant)
    or
    http://groups.google.com/groups?oi=djq&as_q=+Python-URL!&as_ugroup=comp.lang.python

    Suggestions/corrections for next week's posting are always welcome.
    E-mail to <> should get through.

    To receive a new issue of this posting in e-mail each Monday morning
    (approximately), ask <> to subscribe. Mention
    "Python-URL!".

    -- The Python-URL! Team--

    Dr. Dobb's Journal (http://www.ddj.com) is pleased to participate in and
    sponsor the "Python-URL!" project.

    Simon Brunning, Apr 11, 2005

  2. Simon Brunning

    Greg Ewing Guest

    Simon Brunning wrote:

    > "You need to recursively subdivide the cake until you have a piece small
    > enough to fit in your input buffer. Then the atomicity of the cake-ingestion
    > operation will become apparent." - Scott David Daniels

    Actually it was me who wrote that, not Scott.

    (Darn. I finally say something that gets into Quote of the
    Week, and it's attributed to someone else! :) :) :)

    --
    Greg Ewing, Computer Science Dept,
    University of Canterbury,

    Greg Ewing, Apr 14, 2005

  3. On 4/14/05, Greg Ewing <> wrote:
    > Actually it was me who wrote that, not Scott.
    >
    > (Darn. I finally say something that gets into Quote of the
    > Week, and it's attributed to someone else! :) :) :)

    Ooops. I'm really very sorry about that.

    Try and think of something else witty to say over the next day or two
    - I'm sure I can squeeze you into next week's. ;-)

    --
    Cheers,
    Simon B,

    Simon Brunning, Apr 14, 2005
  4. Simon Brunning

    Chris Cioffi Guest

    +1 on _that_ being a QOTW!

    On 4/14/05, Simon Brunning <> wrote:
    [snip]

    > Try and think of something else witty to say over the next day or two
    > - I'm sure I can squeeze you into next week's. ;-)

    --
    "I was born not knowing and have had only a little time to change that
    here and there." -- Richard Feynman

    Chris Cioffi, Apr 14, 2005
  5. Simon Brunning

    Peter Hansen Guest

    Greg Ewing wrote:
    > (Darn. I finally say something that gets into Quote of the
    > Week, and it's attributed to someone else! :) :) :)

    +1 on this for meta-QOTW, solving both problems...

    Peter Hansen, Apr 14, 2005
  6. On 4/14/05, Peter Hansen <> wrote:
    > Greg Ewing wrote:
    > > (Darn. I finally say something that gets into Quote of the
    > > Week, and it's attributed to someone else! :) :) :)

    > +1 on this for meta-QOTW, solving both problems...

    Yeah, but to whom do I attribute it?

    ;-)

    --
    Cheers,
    Simon B,

    Simon Brunning, Apr 14, 2005
  7. Simon Brunning wrote:

    Not that it really matters, but does anybody know why the weekly Python
    news always arrives twice? Does it only happen to me, or does it happen
    to others too?

    It's not that it irritates me or anything, I'm just being curious.

    Roel Schroeven

    Roel Schroeven, Apr 14, 2005
  8. Simon Brunning

    Dave Brueck Guest

    Roel Schroeven wrote:
    > Simon Brunning wrote:

    > Not that it really matters, but does anybody know why the weekly Python
    > news always arrives twice? Does it only happen to me, or does it happen
    > to others too?
    >
    > It's not that it irritates me or anything, I'm just being curious.

    I just thought it was for emphasis.

    -Dave

    Dave Brueck, Apr 14, 2005
  9. Simon Brunning

    John Hazen Guest

    * Dave Brueck <> [2005-04-14 07:49]:
    [Roel Schroeven]
    > >Not that it really matters, but does anybody know why the weekly Python
    > >news always arrives twice? Does it only happen to me, or does it happen
    > >to others too?
    > >
    > >It's not that it irritates me or anything, I'm just being curious.

    [Dave Brueck]
    > I just thought it was for emphasis.

    My theory has always been that it's posted once to python-list, and once
    to usenet, and the bridge dutifully sends each message to the other
    domain.

    (And, yes. (Obviously) I get two copies, as well. I've meen meaning to
    ask the same question.)

    -John

    John Hazen, Apr 15, 2005
  10. Simon Brunning

    Paul Boddie Guest

    Simon Brunning <> wrote in message news:<>...
    > On 4/14/05, Peter Hansen <> wrote:
    > > Greg Ewing wrote:
    > > > (Darn. I finally say something that gets into Quote of the
    > > > Week, and it's attributed to someone else! :) :) :)

    > > +1 on this for meta-QOTW, solving both problems...

    > Yeah, but to whom do I attribute it?

    To Greg, of course. ;-)

    Paul

    Paul Boddie, Apr 15, 2005
  11. Simon Brunning wrote:
    > On 4/14/05, Peter Hansen <> wrote:
    >
    >>Greg Ewing wrote:
    >>
    >>>(Darn. I finally say something that gets into Quote of the
    >>>Week, and it's attributed to someone else! :) :) :)

    >>+1 on this for meta-QOTW, solving both problems...

    > Yeah, but to whom do I attribute it?
    >
    > ;-)

    Clearly to Greg.

    --Scott David Daniels

    (who should have said something as soon as he saw the mis-attribution)

    Scott David Daniels, Apr 15, 2005