Dr. Dobb's Python-URL! - weekly Python news and links (Feb 9)

Discussion in 'Python' started by Craig Ringer, Feb 9, 2005.

  1. Craig Ringer

    Craig Ringer Guest

    QOTW: "Such infrastructure building is in fact fun and instructive -- as
    long as you don't fall into the trap of *using* such complications in
    production code, where Python's simplicity rules;-)." -- Alex Martelli
    http://groups-beta.google.com/group/comp.lang.python/browse_thread/thread/41a6c0e1e260cd72/

    "C++ to Python is a steep 'unlearning' curve..." -- Philip Smith

    "URK -- _my_ feeling is that we have entirely *too many* options for
    stuff like web application frameworks, GUI toolkits, XML processing,
    ...." -- Alex Martelli
    http://groups-beta.google.com/group/comp.lang.python/browse_thread/thread/a9bdc98acb5acae4/

    "We should concentrate on *real* problems, ones that exist in real code,
    not ones that mostly exist in wild-eyed prose that consists of
    predictions of pain and death that conspicuously fail to occur, no matter
    how many times they are repeated or we are exhorted to heed them or face
    our doom." -- Jeremy Bowers
    http://groups-beta.google.com/group/comp.lang.python/browse_thread/thread/a75da70b0845b6fe/

    Special thanks this week to Dean Goodmanson for his help identifying
    several items.

    The Online Computer Library Center contest is open. It
    closes May 15. Among the usual C++ and Java languages, Python
    also is available for selection:
    http://www.oclc.org/research/researchworks/contest/default.htm#guidelines

    Baoqui Chi runs into a documented, but easily overlooked, trap
    in the handling of __del__ methods and receives good advice on
    better fixes:
    http://groups-beta.google.com/group/comp.lang.python/browse_thread/thread/13ec343eb0a37247/

    Steve Holden explains how to think about bytecode management:
    http://groups-beta.google.com/group/comp.lang.python/browse_thread/thread/59c0466111b075b8/
    in a conversation aimed at Pyro improvement.

    Michael Tobis sparks off a discussion on the underlying nature
    of generators and offers a caution on jumping to conclusions
    about the writings of non-native English speakers:
    http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-list/2005-January/263448.html

    Derek finds out that the Python interpereter is smarter about
    finding resources than it lets on:
    http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-list/2005-January/263473.html

    irc.freenode.net #python is overcrowded: the entrance now
    routes to #python-cleese or #python-gilliam:
    http://divmod.org/users/washort/python-split.htmlmklm

    Steve Holden provides an evocative illustration that the rules
    are there for a reason, even if breaking them doesn't hit you
    (*ahem*) immediately:
    http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-list/2005-February/263851.html

    more information, Stefan Behnel gets a couple of rather useful
    answers:
    http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-list/2005-February/263843.html

    Netcraft Reports 33K Zope servers in January, 55K in February!
    http://mail.zope.org/pipermail/zope-announce/2005-February/001651.html

    Joakim Stork discovers that thanks to classes being first class
    objects in Python, sometimes the best solution is so simple it's
    often possible to miss it entirely:
    http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-list/2005-February/263891.html

    Someone posts an interesting attempt at a cross-platform way to
    discover the user's home directory:
    http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-list/2005-February/263921.html

    Metaclasses are handy things. Steven Bethard demonstrates a nice
    simple use case:
    http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-list/2005-February/264037.html

    As John Machin demonstrates, generating SQL in Python doesn't
    have to be ugly:
    http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-list/2005-February/264248.html

    Everything Python-related you want is probably one or two clicks away in
    these pages:

    Python.org's Python Language Website is the traditional
    center of Pythonia
    http://www.python.org
    Notice especially the master FAQ
    http://www.python.org/doc/FAQ.html

    PythonWare complements the digest you're reading with the
    marvelous daily python url
    http://www.pythonware.com/daily
    Mygale is a news-gathering webcrawler that specializes in (new)
    World-Wide Web articles related to Python.
    http://www.awaretek.com/nowak/mygale.html
    While cosmetically similar, Mygale and the Daily Python-URL
    are utterly different in their technologies and generally in
    their results.

    comp.lang.python.announce announces new Python software. Be
    sure to scan this newsgroup weekly.
    http://groups.google.com/groups?oi=djq&as_ugroup=comp.lang.python.announce

    Brett Cannon continues the marvelous tradition established by
    Andrew Kuchling and Michael Hudson of intelligently summarizing
    action on the python-dev mailing list once every other week.
    http://www.python.org/dev/summary/

    The Python Package Index catalogues packages.
    http://www.python.org/pypi/

    The somewhat older Vaults of Parnassus ambitiously collects references
    to all sorts of Python resources.
    http://www.vex.net/~x/parnassus/

    Much of Python's real work takes place on Special-Interest Group
    mailing lists
    http://www.python.org/sigs/

    The Python Business Forum "further the interests of companies
    that base their business on ... Python."
    http://www.python-in-business.org

    Python Success Stories--from air-traffic control to on-line
    match-making--can inspire you or decision-makers to whom you're
    subject with a vision of what the language makes practical.
    http://www.pythonology.com/success

    The Python Software Foundation (PSF) has replaced the Python
    Consortium as an independent nexus of activity. It has official
    responsibility for Python's development and maintenance.
    http://www.python.org/psf/
    Among the ways you can support PSF is with a donation.
    http://www.python.org/psf/donate.html

    Kurt B. Kaiser publishes a weekly report on faults and patches.
    http://www.google.com/groups?as_usubject=weekly python patch

    Cetus collects Python hyperlinks.
    http://www.cetus-links.org/oo_python.html

    Python FAQTS
    http://python.faqts.com/

    The Cookbook is a collaborative effort to capture useful and
    interesting recipes.
    http://aspn.activestate.com/ASPN/Cookbook/Python

    Among several Python-oriented RSS/RDF feeds available are
    http://www.python.org/channews.rdf
    http://bootleg-rss.g-blog.net/pythonware_com_daily.pcgi
    http://python.de/backend.php
    For more, see
    http://www.syndic8.com/feedlist.php?ShowMatch=python&ShowStatus=all
    The old Python "To-Do List" now lives principally in a
    SourceForge reincarnation.
    http://sourceforge.net/tracker/?atid=355470&group_id=5470&func=browse
    http://python.sourceforge.net/peps/pep-0042.html

    The online Python Journal is posted at pythonjournal.cognizor.com.
    and
    welcome submission of material that helps people's understanding
    of Python use, and offer Web presentation of your work.

    deli.cio.us presents an intriguing approach to reference commentary.
    It already aggregates quite a bit of Python intelligence.
    http://del.icio.us/tag/python

    *Py: the Journal of the Python Language*
    http://www.pyzine.com

    Archive probing tricks of the trade:
    http://groups.google.com/groups?oi=djq&as_ugroup=comp.lang.python&num=100
    http://groups.google.com/groups?meta=site=groups&group=comp.lang.python.*

    Previous - (U)se the (R)esource, (L)uke! - messages are listed here:
    http://www.ddj.com/topics/pythonurl/
    http://purl.org/thecliff/python/url.html (dormant)
    or
    http://groups.google.com/groups?oi=djq&as_q=+Python-URL!&as_ugroup=comp.lang.python

    Suggestions/corrections for next week's posting are always welcome.
    E-mail to <> should get through.

    To receive a new issue of this posting in e-mail each Monday morning
    (approximately), ask <> to subscribe. Mention
    "Python-URL!".

    -- The Python-URL! Team--

    Dr. Dobb's Journal (http://www.ddj.com) is pleased to participate in and
    sponsor the "Python-URL!" project.

    Craig Ringer, Feb 9, 2005

  2. > "We should concentrate on *real* problems, ones that exist in real code,
    > not ones that mostly exist in wild-eyed prose that consists of
    > predictions of pain and death that conspicuously fail to occur, no matter
    > how many times they are repeated or we are exhorted to heed them or face
    > our doom." -- Jeremy Bowers

    Amen.

    --
    Regards,