dropdown binding with datalist value of zero for please select...

DotNetJunkies User

hi,,

im trying to work out what code is needed for the below problem about databinding a dropdown list and having actual datalist items as value "0" ie 'please select'

can anyone tell me how to do this in relation to the below code,,

thanks

paul.

So I'm guessing that this behavior is by design??

I was able to Insert a row after the bind and that works!

Thanks!
Andrea

bruce barker said:
in the codebehind, add it after the bind

-- bruce (sqlwork.com)

Andrea Williams said:
I have a drop down control that I've added a list item that has a value of
zero and the text name is "[Select One]". And it shows up like it's
supposed to until I bind a dataset to it. The binding seems to remove the
list Item that I added. Is there something I have to set to keep the list
Item that I added via ASPX code? Has anyone been successful in having a
defuatl selection that is not in the data set?

ASPX code:
<asp:DropDownList id="cboConferenceID" runat="server" AutoPostBack="True">
<asp:ListItem Value="0">[Select One]</asp:ListItem>
</asp:DropDownList>

ASP C# code-behind:
this.cboConferenceID.DataSource = dsGeneric;
this.cboConferenceID.DataTextField = vstrDataTextField;
this.cboConferenceID.DataValueField = vstrDataValueField;
this.cboConferenceID.DataBind();

Thanks in advance,
Andrea

PS: VS.NET 2003 on WIN 2000

Guest

Hi paul
I am not sure if i ve got you right but if you want to add an item to the dropdown control then you can use the following cod
Dim lstItem As New ListIte
lstItem.Text = "Please Select
lstItem.Value = "0
DropDownList1.Items.Add(lstItem
regard
srini

Vidar Petursson

Hi

Or create a temp table and insert 0,'Please select' then insert the other
stuff into the table

Something like this ( sql SP )
CREATE Table #ItemsTemp
(
ID int,
sText varchar(255)
)
INSERT #ItemsTemp (ID,sText) VALUES(0,'Please select')
INSERT #ItemsTemp SELECT ID,sText FROM MYTABLE ORDER By sText

SELECT ID,sText FROM #ItemsTemp

Not tested but should do the trick...

--
Best Regards
Vidar Petursson

Andrea Williams said:
[...]

---
Posted using Wimdows.net NntpNews Component -

Post Made from http://www.DotNetJunkies.com/newsgroups Our newsgroup
engine supports Post Alerts, Ratings, and Searching.