Dropdown on ASP page

Discussion in 'ASP General' started by JP SIngh, Mar 16, 2005.

  1. JP SIngh

    JP SIngh Guest

    Hi All

    I just wondering if someone can suggest a solution to this tricky issue we
    have got.

    I have an asp form which allow our users to create a new record and save it
    to the database. On the form one of the field's is a "clientname" field
    which is a dropdown populated from one of the tables called clients.

    The issue is the clients table has about 3000 records. I have created a
    dropdown to display all the client to allow the users to choose from it but
    I would think this will cause issues when it comes to selecting a client
    that it will be quite difficult to navigate and scroll a dropdown of 3000+
    records to find the client that the user needs. Further I would like to
    think it is quite an inefficient use of resources to display 3000 records in
    a dropdown when only one is going to be choosen.

    Has anyone got any suggestions on how this can be improved? I thought about
    creating a pop box to allow users to search for the clients , then
    displaying the client names as hyperlinks and the choosen one is them
    clicked but this has an issue. If the record was saved at that point I could
    simply write update code to change the client field of the record at that
    stage but the issue is the record is still being created i.e. I don't have
    the ID (autonumber in the access database) hence cannot run an update query
    to store the selected client in the database.

    Can you think of anything else? Any help is greatly appreciated. Please post
    a comment if anything in this post is not clear.
    JP SIngh, Mar 16, 2005

  2. JP SIngh

    McKirahan Guest

    "JP SIngh" <> wrote in message
    > Hi All
    >
    > I just wondering if someone can suggest a solution to this tricky issue we
    > have got.
    >
    > I have an asp form which allow our users to create a new record and save

    it
    > to the database. On the form one of the field's is a "clientname" field
    > which is a dropdown populated from one of the tables called clients.
    >
    > The issue is the clients table has about 3000 records. I have created a
    > dropdown to display all the client to allow the users to choose from it

    but
    > I would think this will cause issues when it comes to selecting a client
    > that it will be quite difficult to navigate and scroll a dropdown of 3000+
    > records to find the client that the user needs. Further I would like to
    > think it is quite an inefficient use of resources to display 3000 records

    in
    > a dropdown when only one is going to be choosen.
    >
    > Has anyone got any suggestions on how this can be improved? I thought

    about
    > creating a pop box to allow users to search for the clients , then
    > displaying the client names as hyperlinks and the choosen one is them
    > clicked but this has an issue. If the record was saved at that point I

    could
    > simply write update code to change the client field of the record at that
    > stage but the issue is the record is still being created i.e. I don't have
    > the ID (autonumber in the access database) hence cannot run an update

    query
    > to store the selected client in the database.
    >
    > Can you think of anything else? Any help is greatly appreciated. Please

    post
    > a comment if anything in this post is not clear.

    One approach is to have the user select a letter and generate a drop-down
    list of only client names that start with that letter.

    An IE-only approach is to generate a single-drop down and add "type ahead"
    support so that when each successive character is entered the nearest option
    is selected.

    // Cooking with JavaScript & DHTML
    // Bonus Recipe: Typing select Element Choices in IE for Windows
    // http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/a/javascript/2003/09/03/dannygoodman.html
    // http://www.oreillynet.com/lpt/a/4135
    McKirahan, Mar 16, 2005

  3. JP SIngh

    Ganesh Guest

    Hi,
    I have done the following to implement the same kind of search for one of my
    sites.
    1. Provide alphabetical links A till Z.
    2. Clicking on one of the alphabets, I will display the records that start
    with the chosen alphabet. This reduces the sql overhead. It also reduces the
    time the user has to search, if he knows the starting alphabet though :).
    3. When the user selects a particular record, i will set that value to my
    form textbox.

    Does this help?
    Ganesh

    Ganesh, Mar 16, 2005