Dropdownlist box problem

vladp

Hi!
Here is problem I got.
I use vb.net and MSSQL Server 2000.
My dropdownlist box gets information from view, and it works. However when I
am trying to get information from the dropdownlist I get error message.
Also during step by step debug dropPP.SelectedItem.Text gets value "NOTHING"

to an instance of an object.

Source Error:

Line 442: If txtPD.Text <> "" Then .Item("dept_code") =
txtPD.Text
Line 443: If txtEffort.Text <> "" Then .Item("effort") =
txtEffort.Text
Line 444: If dropPP.SelectedItem.Text <> "" Then
..Item("dept_name") = dropPP.SelectedItem.Text
Line 445: 'If dropBT.SelectedItem.Text <> "" Then
..Item("budget_title") = dropBT.SelectedItem.Text
Line 446: If txtStart.Text <> "" Then .Item("efft_date_from") =
txtStart.Text Else .Item("efft_date_from") = 0

Thanks.

Vlad

Nathan Sokalski

It's kind of hard to give a full answer using what you have given, but one
personal recommendation of mine that often helps me avoid errors is to never
write code that refers to a property without putting the object/variable
name with it. What this means is that instead of writing

..Item("dept_code")

Write

OBJECTVARIABLE.Item("dept_code")

Doing this can make your code easier to understand when debugging as well as
help avoid errors to begin with. Good luck!