Dropdownlist box problem

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by vladp, Aug 18, 2005.

  1. vladp

    vladp Guest

    Hi!
    Here is problem I got.
    I use vb.net and MSSQL Server 2000.
    My dropdownlist box gets information from view, and it works. However when I
    am trying to get information from the dropdownlist I get error message.
    Also during step by step debug dropPP.SelectedItem.Text gets value "NOTHING"

    to an instance of an object.

    Source Error:

    Line 442: If txtPD.Text <> "" Then .Item("dept_code") =
    txtPD.Text
    Line 443: If txtEffort.Text <> "" Then .Item("effort") =
    txtEffort.Text
    Line 444: If dropPP.SelectedItem.Text <> "" Then
    ..Item("dept_name") = dropPP.SelectedItem.Text
    Line 445: 'If dropBT.SelectedItem.Text <> "" Then
    ..Item("budget_title") = dropBT.SelectedItem.Text
    Line 446: If txtStart.Text <> "" Then .Item("efft_date_from") =
    txtStart.Text Else .Item("efft_date_from") = 0

    Thanks.

    Vlad

    vladp, Aug 18, 2005

  2. It's kind of hard to give a full answer using what you have given, but one
    personal recommendation of mine that often helps me avoid errors is to never
    write code that refers to a property without putting the object/variable
    name with it. What this means is that instead of writing

    ..Item("dept_code")

    Write

    OBJECTVARIABLE.Item("dept_code")

    Doing this can make your code easier to understand when debugging as well as
    help avoid errors to begin with. Good luck!
    --
    Nathan Sokalski

    http://www.nathansokalski.com/

    Nathan Sokalski, Aug 20, 2005