DSN to Reply-to address

Karon Davis

Hi,

can someone tell me if it's possible to send delivery status notifications
(or NDRs) to the Reply-To address (specified in CDOSYS script) rather than
the FROM address?

thanks.

Sanford Whiteman

can someone tell me if it's possible to send delivery status
notifications (or NDRs) to the Reply-To address (specified in CDOSYS
script) rather than the FROM address?

Never mind where _you_ specified the Reply-To: and where _you_ send
NDRs.

If your question is how you can make remote servers break the RFCs,
and break standard mail patterns, by sending to the header Reply-To:
instead of the envelope sender, the answer is "you can't."

The reason is simple. NDRs go to the protocol-level MAIL FROM, as
opposed to the headers, which are encapsulated within the DATA section
of the message. While a message may indeed be rejected by server based
on header/body content, and while sending server A will _not_ look
inside the message headers/body to determine who is to receive the
resultant bounce. Even if it were possible to implement this broken
behavior, the overhead would be tremendous.

Care to explain the surrounding environment of your question?

--Sandy