DST (dayligt saving time) rules update

Dr J R Stockton

In comp.lang.java.programmer message <[email protected]
, Mon, 5 Oct 2009 17:19:21, Martin Gregorie <martin@address-in-
sig.invalid> posted:
The Best of Dates,.... describes the Julian Day and Modified Julian Day
calendar, an astronomical date system, used by astronomers,
geophysicists, chronologers, and others who needed to have an unambiguous
dating system based on continuing day counts. It is known as Modified
Julian Day, which is based on an unbroken day number sequence, with day
zero being Wednesday, 1 JAN -4712 (4713 BC). There should be more detail,
but its a broken link. Here's a reference to a Julian Day page that works:

One hoped you have merely through ignorance misquoted or carelessly
misphrased; Healton should be reliable. MJD 0 was between the Indian
Mutiny and the American Civil War.

Julian Date 0.0 is Monday BC 4713 Jan 1 12:00 GMT proleptic Julian.
Chronological JD 0.0 is 00:00 local time of that date.
Modified dates have about 2.4e6 subtracted.
Modified JD 0.0 is Wednesday AD 1858 Nov 17 00:00 GMT.
Chronological MJD 0.0 is 00:00 local time of that date.

JD & MJD are established with utmost solidity; CJD & CMJD less so.

When my miscdate.htm was rendered in my browser, by my machine's clock
it was :-

* Local : Mon, Oct 05 2009 20:54:11 GMT+0100
* GMT/UTC : Mon, 05 Oct 2009 19:54:11 GMT
* JD : 2455110.329
* CJD : 2455110.871 in UK
* MJD : 55109.829
* CMJD : 55109.871 in UK