DTDs, schema's and namespaces

Miel Bronneberg

Hi,

I've got a problem validating an xml document with both a dtd and
a schema. The problem seems to be about namespaces. What I want is a
well-formed, valid XML document, which also validates against a schema.
The following document validates ok at
http://www.stg.brown.edu/service/xmlvalid/ which doesn't check the schema.

<!DOCTYPE minim SYSTEM "http://www.cs.vu.nl/~embronne/XML/minim/minim.dtd">

<minim xmlns="http://www.cs.vu.nl/~embronne/XML/minim"
xsi:schemaLocation="http://www.cs.vu.nl/~embronne/XML/minim http://www.cs.vu.nl/~embronne/XML/minim/minim.xsd">

<lmnt>
Only one.
</lmnt>

</minim>

However, the xsv schema validator (http://www.w3.org/2001/03/webdata/xsv)
complains that: "element {http://www.cs.vu.nl/~embronne/XML/minim}:lmnt
not allowed here (1) in element
{http://www.cs.vu.nl/~embronne/XML/minim}:minim, expecting [{None}:lmnt]".
This can be fixed as follows:

<!DOCTYPE minim SYSTEM "http://www.cs.vu.nl/~embronne/XML/minim/minim.dtd">

<mnm:minim xmlns:mnm="http://www.cs.vu.nl/~embronne/XML/minim"
xsi:schemaLocation="http://www.cs.vu.nl/~embronne/XML/minim http://www.cs.vu.nl/~embronne/XML/minim/minim.xsd">

<lmnt>
Only one.
</lmnt>

</mnm:minim>

This seems to be unacceptable to the dtd-validator. If I want this to work
I'd have to modify the dtd and make "mnm:minim" the root element and add as
an attribute "xmlns:mnm". This I find an ugly solution. I was already
dissatisfied that I had to declare "xmlns:xsi" and "xsi:schemaLocation" as
attributes, but making "mnm:minim" the root element, while it should be
"minim" which just happens to be in the namespace "mnm" is really horrible.
Are there better solutions?

Regards, Miel.

Richard Tobin

Miel Bronneberg said:

Ok, so you want minim and lmnt to both be in the minim namespace, which
is very reasonable.

But your schema (I just downloaded it) is

targetNamespace="http://www.cs.vu.nl/~embronne/XML/minim"
xmlns:xml="http://www.w3.org/XML/1998/namespace"
xmlns:mnm="http://www.cs.vu.nl/~embronne/XML/minim">

<element name="minim" type="mnm:minimType"/>

<complexType name="minimType">
<sequence>
<element name="lmnt" type="string" minOccurs="0" maxOccurs="unbounded"/>
</sequence>
</complexType>

</schema>

This declares the local lmnt element in *no namespace*, not in the
minim namespace. Add elementFormDefault="qualified" to the schema
element.

-- Richard

Miel Bronneberg

: In article <[email protected]>,

[snip]

: Ok, so you want minim and lmnt to both be in the minim namespace, which
: is very reasonable.

: But your schema (I just downloaded it) is

[snip]

: This declares the local lmnt element in *no namespace*, not in the
: minim namespace. Add elementFormDefault="qualified" to the schema
: element.

Ok, thanks, that works. Now that you mention it, I have read about this
somewhere. Apologies for not reading the manual well enough.

Thanks, Miel.