Duplicate post as last - but with my subscription id's nospam to ensure an answer from MS

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by =?Utf-8?B?Um9iIEx5bmNo?=, May 3, 2004.

  1. Sorry for the duplicate, but I wanted to make sure this would be seen by MS, and that they would answer it.... I have noticed (by getting ignored) that they won't just answer any old email and I want to get my $$ worth :

    This one has me perplexed

    from vs.net web app

    add a new aspx pag
    add 3 textbox's and a command butto
    in the command buttons click event add response.write "button1 click

    from any textbox press the enter ke
    the Button1 Click event fire

    add a new button, do nothing else except add respnse.write "buttonX click
    it's click event might fire but it might be button1.. no real differences to the buttons properties but for some reason (that I can identify)

    If anything I would prefer the Enter key to act as a tab key, the only cure I have found is to make the textbox a multiLine textbox. However, I would prefer not to do this, but I can't have someone submitting the form before all the textbox's have entrys (yes I know about fieldvalidators, I would just prefer not to have the it happen and or to have the page do something else

    Thanks

    Ro

    Print | Copy URL of this post

    Expand All Collapse All

    Manage Your Profile |Legal |Contact
    =?Utf-8?B?Um9iIEx5bmNo?=, May 3, 2004

  2. =?Utf-8?B?Um9iIEx5bmNo?=

    Curt_C [MVP] Guest

    huh?
    First off it's not MS that is most likely to answer here, it's others like
    you. Secondly, reposting just to get noticed is sure to get you ignored by
    those of us who spend time in here. Thirdly, what $$ worth?

    That said, what specifically is your problem? That the enter doesn't act
    like TAB (that's not an ASP issue, it's a clientside catch of the keyboard
    event and overriding it...also not good web-ettiquete) or are you saying
    that button2 fires button1's click event?

    --
    Curt Christianson
    Owner/Lead Developer, DF-Software

    Curt_C [MVP], May 3, 2004

  3. Hey Curt,

    He's probably an MSDN Universal subscriber who needs to post under the
    registered name to be sure to get the attention of MS Managed Support.

    That's how are took it, anyway.

    Ken

    Ken Cox [Microsoft MVP], May 3, 2004
  4. =?Utf-8?B?Um9iIEx5bmNo?=

    Curt_C [MVP] Guest

    Ahhh.... guess that makes sense... But what I want to know is if I answer it
    b4 MS does do I get the $ instead :} hehehehhehe

    --

    > Hey Curt,
    >
    > He's probably an MSDN Universal subscriber who needs to post under the
    > registered name to be sure to get the attention of MS Managed Support.
    >
    > That's how are took it, anyway.
    >
    > Ken

    > > huh?
    > > First off it's not MS that is most likely to answer here, it's others

    like
    > > you. Secondly, reposting just to get noticed is sure to get you ignored

    by
    > > those of us who spend time in here. Thirdly, what $$ worth?
    > >
    > > That said, what specifically is your problem? That the enter doesn't act
    > > like TAB (that's not an ASP issue, it's a clientside catch of the

    keyboard
    > > event and overriding it...also not good web-ettiquete) or are you saying
    > > that button2 fires button1's click event?
    > >
    > > --
    > > Curt Christianson
    > > Owner/Lead Developer, DF-Software
    > > Site: http://www.Darkfalz.com
    > > Blog: http://blog.Darkfalz.com
    > >

    > > "Rob Lynch" <> wrote in message
    > >> Sorry for the duplicate, but I wanted to make sure this would be seen

    by
    > > MS, and that they would answer it.... I have noticed (by getting

    ignored)
    > > that they won't just answer any old email and I want to get my $$ worth

    :)

    Curt_C [MVP], May 3, 2004
  5. Yup, you get the same as MS gets!

    Ken Cox [Microsoft MVP], May 3, 2004
  6. =?Utf-8?B?Um9iIEx5bmNo?=

    Curt_C [MVP] Guest

    heheheheheh good answer

    Curt_C [MVP], May 3, 2004
  7. Curt, Ken's first answer was correct..

    SO far for your payment for cynical off the topic discussions I will happily provide your paypal account with 1

    :

    Ro

    PS Still hopeing for an non cynical answer that works......
    =?Utf-8?B?Um9iIEx5bmNo?=, May 3, 2004
  8. It is more would be better to descripe the behavour as something I don't want and would like the browser to ignore.

    I can and have trapped the enter key but other than disableing it in certain controls I have had no real success.

    What I dislike is that it is necessary

    SingleLine textbox fires one of the Submit BUttons that VS.Net rendered... which one.. anybodys guess
    MultiLine textbox accepts the Enter and adds an chr(13) to the text bo

    What I woul like would be to make the Enter Key behave like a Tab key is certain situations..
    Even using ClientSide script I have had probmes.. (very hard to get it to set focus to the next control without getting the EnterKey event

    I am quite happy to share my failed attempts if it is worth the effort

    Ro

    PS Re why the second post.. Last year I made several posts that NO ONE answered (not even you:). Even after paying for my MSDN subscription. It was months after my last need for help that I found that MS probably wasn't recognising my email address. NOT MCUH HELP. What I am hoping for now is a GOOD workaround from someone before I solve the problem myself, or just resort to good old style ASP. It kind of sucks that there is a "Means Test" done before some one from MS will actually step in and help. I would prefer to have a MEMBERS ONLY site like we used to and actually get a valid and correct answer
    =?Utf-8?B?Um9iIEx5bmNo?=, May 3, 2004
  9. > PS Still hopeing for an non cynical answer that works......

    Try mine in the other post?
    Ken Cox [Microsoft MVP], May 3, 2004
  10. Ken, I did look at it, but it didn't provide anything other than confirmation that this is a bug.

    FieldValidators (that the Q article sugests) won't work for this situation as there are some single line fields that don't require a response

    As per final soultion (that works without validators) see the other thread

    Ro

    PS Something needs to be done to remove this need. The behavour should be something you can turn on and off with a property... i.e. textbox1.EnterCausesSubmit = tru

    Otherwise the rendering of CommandButtons as <input type=Submit> Buttons rather than <input type=button> will always cause a problme when you have single line textbox'
    My 1c wort
    =?Utf-8?B?Um9iIGx5bmNo?=, May 4, 2004