DW Crashing Constantly When Using Find & Replace?

John

Hello.

I have Dreamweaver MX 2004 and I just wondered if anyone else has had
this major issue with Dreamweaver constantly crashing when you try and
use Find & Replace?

I made a few screen shots below of the problem.

http://tinyurl.com/2x2kb

My system is fully up to date with all the latest Windows updates, and
is completely up to date with the Dreamweaver updates as well.
However there is still this major problem using the Find & Replace.

I just wondered if anyone else has this issue as well? And how long
it will be before Macromedia fix it once and for all?

Thanks

John

SpaceGirl

John said:
Hello.

I have Dreamweaver MX 2004 and I just wondered if anyone else has had
this major issue with Dreamweaver constantly crashing when you try and
use Find & Replace?

I made a few screen shots below of the problem.

http://tinyurl.com/2x2kb

My system is fully up to date with all the latest Windows updates, and
is completely up to date with the Dreamweaver updates as well.
However there is still this major problem using the Find & Replace.

I just wondered if anyone else has this issue as well? And how long
it will be before Macromedia fix it once and for all?

Thanks

John

Do you have the 7.01 patch installed? It fixed a lot of glitches and makes
it a lot faster too. Also, I notice you have an ATI dashboard. Make sure you
have the lastest driver installed (v4.5). One of the scripts could also be
damaged in DW - try re-installing? It should keep all your site settings.

John

Do you have the 7.01 patch installed? It fixed a lot of glitches and makes
it a lot faster too. Also, I notice you have an ATI dashboard. Make sure you

Yes I have the 7.01 update installed, and it didn't make any
difference to the stability issues using the Find & Replace.
have the lastest driver installed (v4.5). One of the scripts could also be

When I go in Device Manager and look up Display Adapters it says the
driver is version 6.14.10.6414.
damaged in DW - try re-installing? It should keep all your site settings.

I'll try again, but I already tried this once and had the same probs.

Cheers for your help

John

SpaceGirl

you

Yes I have the 7.01 update installed, and it didn't make any
difference to the stability issues using the Find & Replace.
be

When I go in Device Manager and look up Display Adapters it says the
driver is version 6.14.10.6414.

I have version 6.14.10.6436 installed, which is the latest-but-one driver
(Catalyst 4.4). You can see the Cat version by right clicking your desktop >
properties > settings > advanced. Then in the ATI popup, choose the Options
tab. The first line tells you what drive / utils pack you have installed.
The latest Cat version is 4.5.

I'll try again, but I already tried this once and had the same probs.

Cheers for your help

John

Good luck

DeMoN LaG

I have Dreamweaver MX 2004 and I just wondered if anyone else has had
this major issue with Dreamweaver constantly crashing when you try and
use Find & Replace?

Why don't you contact Macromedia, since you paid good money for their
software, right?

Matthias Gutfeldt

John said:
Hello.

I have Dreamweaver MX 2004 and I just wondered if anyone else has had
this major issue with Dreamweaver constantly crashing when you try and
use Find & Replace?

Could it be the old Cache problem? Uncheck the 'cache' (Site definition
menu), close the menu, check 'cache' again - DW should recreate the
cache and all should be well. If not, despair.

Matthias

SpaceGirl

DeMoN LaG said:
Why don't you contact Macromedia, since you paid good money for their
software, right?

That sounds like a comment from someone who's never tried to use the support
form one of these mega-companies....

Jim Berwick

Nobody that I know. Do you work for Macromedia then?

I made no mention of Macromedia. You said it sounds like someone who has
never tried to use support from a company. I'm saying that in fact I work
support for a company. Depending on the company policy, the tech's
experience and their mood, they could go as far as helping you reinstall
the OS to fix a problem, or simply say "It isn't our problem, you'll have
to contact your computer maker <click>"

Have you ever called Macromedia support? I just checked and DW MX 2004
costs $399. For $400 the company better jump through hoops to make it work
right, no matter where the problem resides.

SpaceGirl

Jim Berwick said:
I made no mention of Macromedia. You said it sounds like someone who has
never tried to use support from a company. I'm saying that in fact I work
support for a company. Depending on the company policy, the tech's
experience and their mood, they could go as far as helping you reinstall
the OS to fix a problem, or simply say "It isn't our problem, you'll have
to contact your computer maker <click>"

Have you ever called Macromedia support? I just checked and DW MX 2004
costs $399. For $400 the company better jump through hoops to make it work
right, no matter where the problem resides.

I prefer to look online - I've yet to talk to a tech at one of these
companies who knows much beyond the boundaries of their own programs.
Unfortunatly, while you can be a Macromedia expert, you need to be a Windows
expert to fix these things. I've worked in support too - I know how complex
things can get. Macromedia seems to have a fairly typical help system...
"two support calls within 90 days of each other" after which you have to
start paying. Frankly, this is crap, but then just about the same as
everyone else these days

John

I have version 6.14.10.6436 installed, which is the latest-but-one driver
(Catalyst 4.4). You can see the Cat version by right clicking your desktop >
properties > settings > advanced. Then in the ATI popup, choose the Options
tab. The first line tells you what drive / utils pack you have installed.
The latest Cat version is 4.5.

Hello. I checked and it says 7.97-031212a-013314c ?

John

Bitch Slap The French! :)
http://tinyurl.com/2A3OS

John

Could it be the old Cache problem? Uncheck the 'cache' (Site definition
menu), close the menu, check 'cache' again - DW should recreate the
cache and all should be well. If not, despair.

Matthias

Thanks I'll give that a try as well.

I have tried using support from companies in the past and it was very
poor.

Yes I did pay lots of money for the product, and no I'd prefer not to
go to them for support. I'd prefer to ask people in alt.computer and
other groups. You can only contact Macromedia 2 times I believe, and
maybe there will be something more important or major that I will need
to contact them, but I prefer not to contact Macromedia, Microsoft etc
anyway as I have had bad experiences in the past, and they usually
take forever to respond. (No disrespect to people working in Support
- It's not personal :).

This just seems like a fairly major fault with the actual product
which they need to fix.

John

Bitch Slap The French! :)
http://tinyurl.com/2A3OS

DeMoN LaG

This just seems like a fairly major fault with the actual product
which they need to fix.

If it was a fairly major fault with the product and affected lots of people
(as in, wasn't just happening to you) there would already be much
discussion and you could google and find similar problems. This is a
problem, more than likely, with your specific configuation.

John

Hello.

Sorry to bother everyone again. It looks like I will have to use one
of my two free support calls to Macromedia, because I have tried
everything that everyone has suggested to no avail.

I upgraded my ATI stuff to the latest drivers - no difference.

I tried clicking to reload the cache, that makes no difference.

DW is already at the update version with the 7.0.1 patch.

My Windows XP is always fully up to date anyway, so it cant be an
issue there.

I can't think that there is anything else that can be wrong with my
system or configuration. Everything else I have from other companies
works fine. It's just Macromedia Dreamweaver MX 2004, the find and
replace that doesn't work.

John