Dynamic droplists

Discussion in 'ASP General' started by C White, Feb 3, 2005.

  1. C White

    C White Guest

    I'm trying to write an asp script that will create a series of drop
    lists based on a table like:

    canada ontario toronto street name link
    canada ontario toronto road name link
    canada ontario hamilton road name link
    canada alberta calgary street name link
    canada alberta edmonton street name link
    usa new york buffalo street name link
    usa new york rochester road name link
    usa california san jose street name link
    usa california sacramento road name link

    the first drop list will only display the country

    canada
    usa

    once a country is seleceted a second list will appear and display the
    provice/state, so if the user picked canada it would only display

    ontario
    alberta

    and the third list which appears once a selection is made in the
    second list will display the city based on which state/province that
    is selected and on to the 4th list, which once the 4th list item is
    selected it will open a link

    i can get the code to display the first drop list, but once the
    country is selected it won't display the next drop list, it give me a
    new url which indicates the information has been passed but the 2nd
    list doees not appear, the url will be:

    test.asp?Country=canada

    I am using an access 2000 database to store the information and my
    code is pasted below,

    <head>
    <script language="JavaScript">
    <!--
    function display(what){
    document.getElementById(what).selected = true;
    }
    //-->
    </script>
    </head>

    <%

    Dim strSQL
    Dim cnnLinkDB
    Dim rstCountry, rstProv_State, rstCity, rstStreet
    Dim Country, Prov_State, City, Street

    ' The form links back to this same file passing back the id
    %>
    <form action="test.asp" method="get">
    <%

    ' Create ADO data connection object
    Set cnnLinkDB = Server.CreateObject("ADODB.Connection")

    ' Open data connection
    cnnLinkDB.Open "DBQ=" & Server.MapPath("master_table.mdb") & ";" _
    & "Driver={Microsoft Access Driver (*.mdb)};", "admin", ""

    ' Build our query for select box 1
    strSQL = "SELECT DISTINCT Country FROM Data;"

    ' Create and open recordset object using existing connection
    Set rstCountry = Server.CreateObject("ADODB.Recordset")
    rstCountry.Open strSQL, cnnLinkDB

    ' Build our drop down box of countries
    If Not rstCountry.EOF Then
    rstCountry.MoveFirst
    %>
    Country: <br>
    <select name="Country" onchange=submit()>
    <option></option>
    <% ' Loop through names
    Do While Not rstCountry.EOF
    Response.Write "<option value="""
    Response.Write rstCountry.Fields("Country")
    Response.Write """"
    Response.Write ">"
    Response.Write rstCountry.Fields("Country")
    Response.Write "</option>" & vbCrLf

    ' Move to next record
    rstCountry.MoveNext
    Loop
    %>
    </select>
    <%
    End If

    ' Close ADO objects we're finished with and free DB variables
    rstCountry.Close
    Set rstCountry = Nothing

    ' If a request for a specific id comes in, then build second select
    box

    strSQL = "SELECT DISTINCT Prov_State FROM Data= WHERE Country = '" &
    Country & "'"

    Set rstProv_State = Server.CreateObject("ADODB.Recordset")
    rstProv_State.Open strSQL, cnnLinkDB

    ' Build our drop down box of Prov_States
    If Not rstProv_State.EOF Then
    rstProv_State.MoveFirst
    %>
    <select name="Prov_State" onchange=submit()>
    <option></option>
    <% ' Loop through names
    Do While Not rstProv_State.EOF
    Response.Write "<option value="""
    Response.Write rstProv_State.Fields("Prov_State")
    Response.Write """"
    Response.Write ">"
    Response.Write rstProv_State.Fields("Prov_State")
    Response.Write "</option>" & vbCrLf

    ' Move to next record
    rstProv_State.MoveNext
    Loop
    %>
    </select>
    <%
    End If

    ' Close ADO objects we're finished with and free DB variables
    rstProv_State.Close
    Set rstProv_State = Nothing

    ' If a request for a specific id comes in, then build second select
    box

    strSQL = "SELECT DISTINCT City FROM Data WHERE Prov_State = '" &
    Prov_State & "'"

    Set rstCity = Server.CreateObject("ADODB.Recordset")
    rstCity.Open strSQL, cnnLinkDB

    ' Build our drop down box of areas
    If Not rstCity.EOF Then
    rstCity.MoveFirst
    %>
    <select name="City" onchange=submit()>
    <option></option>
    <% ' Loop through names
    Do While Not rstCity.EOF
    Response.Write "<option value="""
    Response.Write rstCity.Fields("City")
    Response.Write """"
    Response.Write ">"
    Response.Write rstCity.Fields("City")
    Response.Write "</option>" & vbCrLf

    ' Move to next record
    rstCity.MoveNext
    Loop
    %>
    </select>
    <%
    End If

    ' Close ADO objects we're finished with and free DB variables
    rstCity.Close
    Set rstCity = Nothing

    ' If a request for a specific id comes in, then build second select
    box

    strSQL = "SELECT DISTINCT Street FROM Data WHERE City = '" & City &
    "'"

    Set rstStreet = Server.CreateObject("ADODB.Recordset")
    rstStreet.Open strSQL, cnnLinkDB

    ' Build our drop down box of areas
    If Not rstStreet.EOF Then
    rstStreet.MoveFirst
    %>
    <select name="Street"
    onchange="window.open(this.options[this.selectedIndex].value,'_blank')">
    <option></option>
    <% ' Loop through names
    Do While Not rstDetail.EOF
    Response.Write "<option value="""
    Response.Write rstStreet.Fields("Link")
    Response.Write """"
    Response.Write "selected=""true"""
    Response.Write ">"
    Response.Write rstStreet.Fields("Street")
    Response.Write "</option>" & vbCrLf

    ' Move to next record
    rstDetail.MoveNext
    Loop
    %>
    </select>
    <%
    End If

    ' Close ADO objects we're finished with and free DB variables
    rstStreet.Close
    Set rstStreet = Nothing

    ' Close ADO objects we're finished with and free DB variables
    cnnLinkDB.Close
    Set cnnLinkDB = Nothing
    %>

    </form>
    <FORM ACTION="test.asp" METHOD=GET>
    <INPUT TYPE=submit VALUE="Reset">
    </FORM>

    I am trying to use the lesson at:
    http://www.asp101.com/samples/db_pulldown_linked.asp

    but this example uses multiple tables and numbers, whereas I am trying
    to do it with one table and text values, and I have the feeling that
    the text value is part of my problem, and the fact that i don't know
    what i'm doing is my other problem :)

    however, if anyone can point me in the right direction that would be
    greatly appreciated

    thanks

    C White, Feb 3, 2005

  2. C White

    McKirahan Guest

    "C White" <> wrote in message
> [...]
    >
    > ' Close ADO objects we're finished with and free DB variables
    > rstStreet.Close
    > Set rstStreet = Nothing
    >

    > ' Close ADO objects we're finished with and free DB variables
    > cnnLinkDB.Close
    > Set cnnLinkDB = Nothing
    > %>
    >
    > </form>
    > <FORM ACTION="test.asp" METHOD=GET>
    > <INPUT TYPE=submit VALUE="Reset">
    > </FORM>

    > I am trying to use the lesson at:
    > http://www.asp101.com/samples/db_pulldown_linked.asp
    >
    > but this example uses multiple tables and numbers, whereas I am trying
    > to do it with one table and text values, and I have the feeling that
    > the text value is part of my problem, and the fact that i don't know
    > what i'm doing is my other problem :)
    >
    > however, if anyone can point me in the right direction that would be

    This link may be of some interest:
    http://www.quirksmode.org/js/options.html

    McKirahan, Feb 3, 2005

  3. C White

    McKirahan Guest

    "McKirahan" <> wrote in message
    > "C White" <> wrote in message
    > > I'm trying to write an asp script that will create a series of drop
    > > lists based on a table like:
    > >
    > > canada ontario toronto street name link1
    > > canada ontario toronto road name link2
    > > canada ontario hamilton road name link3
    > > canada alberta calgary street name link4
    > > canada alberta edmonton street name link5
    > > usa new york buffalo street name link6
    > > usa new york rochester road name link7
    > > usa california san jose street name link8
    > > usa california sacramento road name link9
    > >

    > > the first drop list will only display the country
    > >
    > > canada
    > > usa
    > >
    > > once a country is seleceted a second list will appear and display the
    > > provice/state, so if the user picked canada it would only display
    > >
    > > ontario
    > > alberta
    > >
    > > and the third list which appears once a selection is made in the
    > > second list will display the city based on which state/province that
    > > is selected and on to the 4th list, which once the 4th list item is
    > > selected it will open a link

    [snip]

    This isn't what you want but it may give you some ideas.

    It has a hardcoded list (as above).

    I've change "link" references to "link#.htm".

    Test as-is; watch for word-wrap.

    <head>
    <title>droplist.htm</title>
    <script type="text/javascript">
    var i = 0;
    var list = new Array();
    list[i++] = "canada^ontario^toronto^street name^link1.htm";
    list[i++] = "canada^ontario^toronto^road name^link2.htm";
    list[i++] = "canada^ontario^hamilton^road name^link3.htm";
    list[i++] = "canada^alberta^calgary^street name^link4.htm";
    list[i++] = "canada^alberta^edmonton^street name^link5.htm";
    list[i++] = "usa^new york^buffalo^street name^link6.htm";
    list[i++] = "usa^new york^rochester^road name^link7.htm";
    list[i++] = "usa^california^san jose^street name^link8.htm";
    list[i++] = "usa^california^sacramento^road name^link9.htm";
    var text = new Array("","","","");

    function opts(that,what) {
    var k = 1;
    var item;
    var temp = "";
    if (that != "") {
    if (what == 1) {
    text[0] = that.options[that.selectedIndex].text;
    text[1] = "";
    text[2] = "";
    text[3] = "";
    document.form1.StateProv.options.length = 0;
    document.form1.City.options.length = 0;
    document.form1.Street.options.length = 0;
    } else if (what == 2) {
    text[1] = that.options[that.selectedIndex].text;
    text[2] = "";
    text[3] = "";
    document.form1.City.options.length = 0;
    document.form1.Street.options.length = 0;
    } else if (what == 3) {
    text[2] = that.options[that.selectedIndex].text;
    text[3] = "";
    document.form1.Street.options.length = 0;
    } else if (what == 4) {
    text[3] = that.options[that.selectedIndex].text;
    var indx = that.options[that.selectedIndex].value;
    item = list[indx].split("^");
    alert(text[0] + " : " + text[1] + " : " + text[2] + " : " + text[3] + " : "
    + item[4]);
    // comment out alert (above).
    // enable link (below); if it's a real page.
    // location.href = item[4];
    for (var j=0; j<list.length; j++) {
    item = list[j].split("^");
    if (what == 0) {
    if (temp != item[what]) {
    temp = item[what];
    document.form1.Country.options[k++] = new Option(temp, j);
    }
    } else if (what == 1) {
    if (text[0] == item[0] && temp != item[what]) {
    temp = item[what];
    document.form1.StateProv.options[k++] = new Option(temp, j);
    }
    } else if (what == 2) {
    if (text[0] == item[0] && text[1] == item[1] && temp !=
    item[what]) {
    temp = item[what];
    document.form1.City.options[k++] = new Option(temp, j);
    }
    } else if (what == 3) {
    if (text[0] == item[0] && text[1] == item[1] && text[2] ==
    item[2] && temp != item[what]) {
    temp = item[what];
    document.form1.Street.options[k++] = new Option(temp, j);
    </script>
    </head>
    <form name="form1">
    &nbsp; <b>Country:</b> &nbsp;
    <select name="Country" onchange="opts(this,1)" style="width:100px">
    <option value=""></option>
    </select>
    &nbsp; <b>State/ProvinceCity:</b> &nbsp;
    <select name="StateProv" onchange="opts(this,2)" style="width:100px">
    <option value=""></option>
    </select>
    &nbsp; <b>City:</b> &nbsp;
    <select name="City" onchange="opts(this,3)" style="width:100px">
    <option value=""></option>
    </select>
    &nbsp; <b>Street:</b> &nbsp;
    <select name="Street" onchange="opts(this,4)" style="width:100px">
    <option value=""></option>
    </select>

    This is strictly client-side though perhaps the array could be built by ASP.

    ASP could be used to build an "include"; for example,

    <script type="text/javascript" src="droplist.js"></script>

    Where "droplist.js" contains; (removed from above):

    McKirahan, Feb 3, 2005
  4. C White

    C White Guest

    That looks great!!!
    Thanks a lot, it looks like exactly what I have been driving myself nuts
    searching for the last few days.

    C White, Feb 4, 2005
  5. C White

    Guest

    I finally got around to putting your example to work, and it did the
    job. Thanks.

    I've been fiddling around for the last day trying to get it to open the
    link a new window, and I'm not having much luck, I figure it has to do
    with the line

    location.href = item[4]

    but I'm not having any luck whatsoever finding a way to do this. Can
    you point me in the right direction?

    Thanks again

    , Feb 9, 2005
  6. C White

    McKirahan Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > I finally got around to putting your example to work, and it did the
    > job. Thanks.
    >
    > I've been fiddling around for the last day trying to get it to open the
    > link a new window, and I'm not having much luck, I figure it has to do
    > with the line
    >
    > location.href = item[4]
    >
    > but I'm not having any luck whatsoever finding a way to do this. Can
    > you point me in the right direction?
    >
    > Thanks again

    Are you invoking via a URL; for example,
    http://localhost/droplist.htm

    It won't work if you invoke it via:
    C:\temp\droplist.htm

    Here's a better version:

    <head>
    <title>droplist.htm</title>
    <script type="text/javascript">
    var i = 0;
    var list = new Array();
    list[i++] = "canada^ontario^toronto^street name^link1.htm";
    list[i++] = "canada^ontario^toronto^road name^link2.htm";
    list[i++] = "canada^ontario^hamilton^road name^link3.htm";
    list[i++] = "canada^alberta^calgary^street name^link4.htm";
    list[i++] = "canada^alberta^edmonton^street name^link5.htm";
    list[i++] = "usa^new york^buffalo^street name^link6.htm";
    list[i++] = "usa^new york^rochester^road name^link7.htm";
    list[i++] = "usa^california^san jose^street name^link8.htm";
    list[i++] = "usa^california^sacramento^road name^link9.htm";
    var text = new Array("","","","");

    function opts(that,what) {
    var goto = "";
    var item;
    if (that != "") {
    var okay;
    if (what == 1) {
    text[0] = that.options[that.selectedIndex].text;
    text[1] = "";
    text[2] = "";
    text[3] = "";
    document.form1.StateProv.options.length = 0;
    document.form1.City.options.length = 0;
    document.form1.Street.options.length = 0;
    } else if (what == 2) {
    text[1] = that.options[that.selectedIndex].text;
    text[2] = "";
    text[3] = "";
    document.form1.City.options.length = 0;
    document.form1.Street.options.length = 0;
    } else if (what == 3) {
    text[2] = that.options[that.selectedIndex].text;
    text[3] = "";
    document.form1.Street.options.length = 0;
    } else if (what == 4) {
    text[3] = that.options[that.selectedIndex].text;
    var indx = that.options[that.selectedIndex].value;
    if (indx != "") {
    item = list[indx].split("^");
    okay = "Okay?\n";
    okay += "\nCountry : " + text[0];
    okay += "\nState/Province : " + text[1];
    okay += "\nCity : " + text[2];
    okay += "\nStreet : " + text[3];
    okay += "\nLink : " + item[4];
    if (confirm(okay)) location.href = item[4];
    // Build selection lists
    if (what < 4) {
    var k = 1;
    var temp = "";
[...]
    <form action="" method="get" name="form1">
    &nbsp; <b>Country:</b> &nbsp;
    <select name="Country" onchange="opts(this,1)" style="width:100px">
    <option value=""></option>
    </select>
    &nbsp; <b>State/Province:</b> &nbsp;
    <select name="StateProv" onchange="opts(this,2)" style="width:100px">
    <option value=""></option>
    </select>
    &nbsp; <b>City:</b> &nbsp;
    <select name="City" onchange="opts(this,3)" style="width:100px">
    <option value=""></option>
    </select>
    &nbsp; <b>Street:</b> &nbsp;
    <select name="Street" onchange="opts(this,4)" style="width:100px">
    <option value=""></option>
    </select>
    </form>

    The previous version: