dynamic form values

Dave Karmens

If I have say 10 fixed variables, how can I set their values = to that
of a form that is built dynamically?

column1 column2
email = formvalue(0)
fname = formvalue(1)
lname = formvalue(2)

etc..

lastvar = formvalue(9)

Dave Karmens

No, I would need to loop though the values of a drop down list and
assign value1 to email, value2 to fname...

Ray at

When, when the page is submitted? When it is loaded? Can you explain this
in a little more detail?

Ray at work

Adrian Forbes [ASP MVP]

No, I would need to loop though the values of a drop down list and
assign value1 to email, value2 to fname...

When you have a drop-down box only the selected item is submitted with the
form, the non-selected values are "lost"

Dave Karmens

A user will fill out the dropdown list and hit submit - a form will then
map the constants to the form values to build a SQL string that will
be passed to a stored procedure.

Dave Karmens

Yes, I don't want the non-selected values.

The form is built dynamically from an uploaded .csv -- the first line of
the .csv is loaded into a drop down list. There is another, static list
that matches up with those values.

Ray at

So, you'll have an unknown number of values to assign to an unknown number
of variables? What about putting them in an array? If I fill out your
form, and I enter these terms in your select box:

cat
bird
ferret

what is the ultimate goal as far as what your SQL string will look like?

Ray at home

Dave Karmens

Hey Ray, thanks for sticking in...

I'll have an unknown number of values loaded from the .CSV, but no more
than 10. There will also be a fixed number of variables to assign them
to. If there is only 7 loaded the rest will be set to "".

The .csv might have user user_email, first_name, last_name so they would
map those to the fixed values email, fname, lname.

The SQL string is a very simple insert:

insert into tbl_test (email, fname, lname)
values ('"&user_email&"','"&first_name&"','"&last_name&"')

This is the basic idea:

"http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/loose.dtd">
<head>
<title>Untitled Document</title>
</head>
<option name="none" value="none">none</option>
<option name="user_email" value="user_email">user_email</option>
<option name="user_fname" value="user_fname">user_fname</option>
<option name="user_lname" value="user_lname">user_lname</option>
</select></td>
<option name="none" value="none">none</option>
<option name="user_email" value="user_email">user_email</option>
<option name="user_fname" value="user_fname">user_fname</option>
<option name="user_lname" value="user_lname">user_lname</option>
</select></td>
<option name="none" value="none">none</option>
<option name="user_email" value="user_email">user_email</option>
<option name="user_fname" value="user_fname">user_fname</option>
<option name="user_lname" value="user_lname">user_lname</option>
</select></td>

Ray at

In that case, split your select value and assign the values to your
variables, like:

On Error Resume Next
firstvar = Request.Form("select")(1)
secondvar = Request.Form("select")(2)
thirdvar = Request.Form("select")(3)
fourthvar = Request.Form("select")(4)
fifthvar = Request.Form("select")(5)
sixthvar = Request.Form("select")(6)
seventhvar = Request.Form("select")(7)
eighthvar = Request.Form("select")(8)
ninthvar = Request.Form("select")(9)
tenthvar = Request.Form("select")(10)
On Error Goto 0

Ray at work

Dave Karmens

Aaaah that looks like it will do! Thanks Ray!