Dynamic menu (like explorer with folders and subfolders)

Discussion in 'ASP General' started by Øyvind Isaksen, Feb 7, 2005.

  1. Hello!

    I have a MSSQL 2003 database that stores the menu structure (categories) for
    my webpage.

    The category table consist of categoryID, category Name and parentID
    (parentID is the ID of the category over the one you are in...). This way
    there is no limit for how many levels the menu structure can be.

    My question is:
    How can I make a ASP code (VB script) that will display this menu dynamic
    regardless numbers of category levels? With 2 levels (menu and submenu) I
    would have one recordset that displays the topmenu, and inside this
    recordset I would have another recordset that displays the submenu (where
    tblCat.categoryID = tblSubCat.parendID). But this code will have the limit
    of 2 levels; topmenu and submenu. I dont know how many levels I need, thats
    why I need a code that has no limits...

    I want to make i "Windows explorer" kind om meny...

    Thanks for all tips!!!!
    Regards,
    Øyvind Isaksen
    Øyvind Isaksen, Feb 7, 2005

  2. Here's a good starting point with samples and links.

    http://www.aspfaq.com/show.asp?id=2311

    Ray at work

    Ray Costanzo [MVP], Feb 7, 2005