Dynamic Pages

Shane Malden

Hi, I am trying to create a page which will automaticlly change the size of
tables/graphics etc based on the screen resolution. Eg, if someone is using
a 800x600 the page layout will utilise this. If the same webpage is
diaplayed on a 1024x768 or 1280X1024 the cells are adjusted according. By
doing something like this could you make the logo change size by using a
percent size in a table cell or is there a better method than tables? If
anyone is able to help with tips or any examples (code or url reference) it
would be appreciated.

Also, what page layout is better to use.. eg.. html, php,asp, etc. The
site will be hosted on apache on a Linux Server.

I appreciate any assistance anyone is able to provide.

Regards,
Shane

Barbara de Zoete

Hi, I am trying to create a page which will automaticlly change the size of
tables/graphics etc based on the screen resolution.

Screen resolution is not important. You still don't know what size the viewport
of the browser is.
Eg, if someone is using
a 800x600 the page layout will utilise this. If the same webpage is
diaplayed on a 1024x768 or 1280X1024 the cells are adjusted according.

Google for liquid design or fluid design. While you're at it, google for
tableless design as well.
Also, what page layout is better to use.. eg.. html, php,asp, etc.

Use CSS for layout.

Karl Core

Shane Malden said:
Hi, I am trying to create a page which will automaticlly change the size
of
tables/graphics etc based on the screen resolution. Eg, if someone is
using
a 800x600 the page layout will utilise this. If the same webpage is
diaplayed on a 1024x768 or 1280X1024 the cells are adjusted according. By
doing something like this could you make the logo change size by using a
percent size in a table cell or is there a better method than tables? If
anyone is able to help with tips or any examples (code or url reference)
it
would be appreciated.

Go to Google groups and search this group for the 10,0000 other discussions
of this topic.

Also, what page layout is better to use.. eg.. html, php,asp, etc. The
site will be hosted on apache on a Linux Server.

PHP and ASP are server-side scripting languages which pre-process data and
output HTML.
HTML is hypertext markup language. it was intended to describe the structure
of the document.
Layout, therefore, is the domain of none of these which you've mentioned.
CSS is the answer you're looking for.

Richard

[...]

This would center your table on the page.

Richard

Go to Google groups and search this group for the 10,0000 other
discussions
of this topic.
PHP and ASP are server-side scripting languages which pre-process data
and
output HTML.
HTML is hypertext markup language. it was intended to describe the
structure
of the document.
Layout, therefore, is the domain of none of these which you've
mentioned.
CSS is the answer you're looking for.

I just love this attitude that tables are dead.
Graphics do have their place within tabular data.
Since the poster did not mention what the use of the tables was for, he was
only asking how else the tables could be presented, in the way he wants.
Instead of being the neighborhood bully anytime anyone mentions tables, why
can't you be more constructive and give assistance?

This is not alt.css. So therefor, tables are a part of html and have a
purpose within html.
if you want to discuss only css, then create alt.css.

Richard

While the city slept, Richard ([email protected]) feverishly typed...
Nowhere in his article did Karl say *anything* about using tables or
not
using tables.

<bang head on wall>
Read the very first sentence.

"......automaticlly change the size of
tables/graphics etc based on the screen resolution......"

Do I not see that nasty word table in there?
<bang head on wall>
Yep. I do.

"........size by using a
percent size in a table cell or ...."
<bang head on wall>
There it is again.

<consume aspirin bottle>

nice.guy.nige

While the city slept, Richard ([email protected]) feverishly typed...
<bang head on wall>

Read the very first sentence.

"......automaticlly change the size of
tables/graphics etc based on the screen resolution......"

That -- and your other references -- are from the OP. I was referring to
*your* reply to *Karl*
Do I not see that nasty word table in there?

Yes. But not from Karl.

Read Karl's message again. He was advising the OP that his list of various
languages were not the ones to help him, and that he should try using CSS
instead. Karl did *not* suggest replacing table layouts with CSS layouts,
rather he suggested using CSS to size the contents of his pages -- a very
sensible suggestion in an age when we are supposed to separate content and
presentation.

Cheers,
Nige

Sid Ismail

: Hi, I am trying to create a page which will automaticlly change the size of
: tables/graphics etc based on the screen resolution. Eg, if someone is using
: a 800x600 the page layout will utilise this. If the same webpage is
: diaplayed on a 1024x768 or 1280X1024 the cells are adjusted according.

Easy - specify table width and TD widths in %'s. Very fluid. :)

Sid

Shane Malden

Thank you to everyone who has replied. What I am trying to achieve is a
page that can show an image (company logo) and then some spill about the
site across the top. Then down the side have a menu structure. Then in the
middle have the contect that would appear as a normal page content.

What I'm trynig to avoid is having a page designed for a 800x600 screen and
someone with 1280 x 1024 seeing a lot of white space. I would like for it to
fill the whole browser. I don't understand CSS so maybe that is what I
require but I'm sure HTML programmers use CSS so posting in here people
should be able to direct me to the right source of information, or what to
ask for is the alt.css group.

I'm open to all suggestions on the best way to create the page. Once again,
thank you for your feedback.

Regards,
Shane

Shane Malden

Thanks Richard. As you mention the left and right margins, is it possible
to push it down the page, eg an inch or so from the top of the browser?

Regards,
Shane

Duende

While sitting in a puddle Shane Malden scribbled in the mud:
Thank you to everyone who has replied. What I am trying to achieve is a
page that can show an image (company logo) and then some spill about the
site across the top. Then down the side have a menu structure. Then in
the middle have the contect that would appear as a normal page content.

What I'm trynig to avoid is having a page designed for a 800x600 screen
and someone with 1280 x 1024 seeing a lot of white space. I would like
for it to fill the whole browser. I don't understand CSS so maybe that
is what I require but I'm sure HTML programmers use CSS so posting in
here people should be able to direct me to the right source of
information, or what to ask for is the alt.css group.

I'm open to all suggestions on the best way to create the page. Once
again, thank you for your feedback.

A few of brucies links to get you on the right path.

css tutorials and other fun 'n giggly css stuff:
http://www.css.nu/
http://www.mako4css.com/
http://www.richinstyle.com/
http://www.blazonry.com/css/