Dynamic ReadOnly in DetailsView

Guest

I need to dynamically set the ReadOnly value in a BoundField in a
DetailsView. The DetailsView is generated from a GridView selection and has
both Edit and New buttons. I need to be able to set the readonly property on
one of the fields depending on the user's group. I have tried to access the
property by Detailsview1.Fields[3].Readonly and by
Detailsview1.FindControl("Dept").Readonly but neither exist. Is it even
possible to set the readonly property of a BoundField in the code-behind?

Angel

Yes Mike! I do that routinely... But it also depends. I do not relie on any
declarative stuff or Datasouce cotrols so I completely bound my control
programmatically.

In my column definition I do the following

' category id
bf = New boundField
bf.DataField="CategoryID"
bf.HeaderText = "Category ID"
bf.ReadOnly = True ' This could be of course done dynamically at this point
detailsView1.Fields.add(bf)

I tested this before answering you and it works.

Mike D

Thanks that helped!
--
Regards,

Mike D
Coding in C# since Feb 2007

Angel said:
Yes Mike! I do that routinely... But it also depends. I do not relie on any
declarative stuff or Datasouce cotrols so I completely bound my control
programmatically.

In my column definition I do the following

' category id
bf = New boundField
bf.DataField="CategoryID"
bf.HeaderText = "Category ID"
bf.ReadOnly = True ' This could be of course done dynamically at this point
detailsView1.Fields.add(bf)

I tested this before answering you and it works.

--
aaa

Mike D said:
I need to dynamically set the ReadOnly value in a BoundField in a
DetailsView. The DetailsView is generated from a GridView selection and has
both Edit and New buttons. I need to be able to set the readonly property on
one of the fields depending on the user's group. I have tried to access the
property by Detailsview1.Fields[3].Readonly and by
Detailsview1.FindControl("Dept").Readonly but neither exist. Is it even
possible to set the readonly property of a BoundField in the code-behind?
--
Regards,

Mike D
Coding in C# since Feb 2007

Geo

Why dont you try using a ItemTemplate inside a DetailsView. Then you can
access it and make it using FIND CONTROL and make it read only. Just sharing
an idea incase if the other method didnt work.

Mike D said:
Thanks that helped!
--
Regards,