e-mail html newsletter with form problem

Van Duijn

I'm trying to make an e-mail html-newsletter with a form.

I could call on the form that is used on my clienst website, by using this
action:

<form method="POST"
action=http://www.domainname.com/cgi-bin/formmail.cgi?recipient=person@domai
nname.com>

(Just <form method="POST"
action="http://www.domainname.com/cgi-bin/formmail.cgi"> didn't do the
trick.

When I submit the form, the formmail script generates an email, but without
any field. So I don't get any input. Also, the hidden fields, like
"redirect" are ignored. Do I miss something here? Do I need to add some
prefixes at the fields?

Maybe this is just not possible. Is it possible in that case to use a form
that will trigger an email client by clicking the submit button?

Thanks,

Martin

Hywel

I'm trying to make an e-mail html-newsletter with a form.

I could call on the form that is used on my clienst website, by using this
action:

<form method="POST"
action=http://www.domainname.com/cgi-bin/formmail.cgi?recipient=person@domai
nname.com>

(Just <form method="POST"
action="http://www.domainname.com/cgi-bin/formmail.cgi"> didn't do the
trick.

Have you got a hidden field in your form called "recipient"?

When I submit the form, the formmail script generates an email, but without
any field.

Is that because the form handler checks the submission method, figures
that as you've specified the recipient in the query string you're using
GET, and there's nothing in the query string apart from the recipient's
address?

Have you read the documentation for the form handler and configured the
form correctly?
Maybe this is just not possible.

It is possible.

Is it possible in that case to use a form
that will trigger an email client by clicking the submit button?

No. Bad idea.

Van Duijn

Hywel said:
Have you got a hidden field in your form called "recipient"?
I tried with and without the hidden "recipient" field.
With the hidden recipient field I added this: <form method="POST"
action="http://www.domainname.com/cgi-bin/formmail.cgi">

Without the hidden "recipient" field I added this:

<form method="POST"
action=http://www.domainname.com/cgi-bin/formmail.cgi?recipient=person@domai
nname.com>

But the script keeps informing me that the HTML form fails to specify the
POST method.
It is odd though that form and formmail script perform flawless when:
- I check the newsletter from Internet Explorer and Netscape,
- with the forms on the website,
- and the script functions perfect even with forms I create in digital
brochures (exe-files).

But when I check the form from Outlook or Eudora there are problems.

Is that because the form handler checks the submission method, figures
that as you've specified the recipient in the query string you're using
GET, and there's nothing in the query string apart from the recipient's
address?

Have you read the documentation for the form handler and configured the
form correctly?
Yes, even our hosting company looked at it and couldn't provide me with an
answer.