e-mail html newsletter with form problem

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Van Duijn, Jun 17, 2004.

  1. Van Duijn

    Van Duijn Guest

    I'm trying to make an e-mail html-newsletter with a form.

    I could call on the form that is used on my clienst website, by using this
    action:

    <form method="POST"
    action=http://www.domainname.com/cgi-bin/formmail.cgi?recipient=person@domai
    nname.com>

    (Just <form method="POST"
    action="http://www.domainname.com/cgi-bin/formmail.cgi"> didn't do the
    trick.

    When I submit the form, the formmail script generates an email, but without
    any field. So I don't get any input. Also, the hidden fields, like
    "redirect" are ignored. Do I miss something here? Do I need to add some
    prefixes at the fields?

    Maybe this is just not possible. Is it possible in that case to use a form
    that will trigger an email client by clicking the submit button?

    Thanks,

    Martin

    Van Duijn, Jun 17, 2004

  2. Van Duijn

    Hywel Guest

    In article <40d1ae2d$0$568$4all.nl>, Van Duijn says...
    > I'm trying to make an e-mail html-newsletter with a form.
    >
    > I could call on the form that is used on my clienst website, by using this
    > action:
    >
    > <form method="POST"
    > action=http://www.domainname.com/cgi-bin/formmail.cgi?recipient=person@domai
    > nname.com>
    >
    > (Just <form method="POST"
    > action="http://www.domainname.com/cgi-bin/formmail.cgi"> didn't do the
    > trick.

    Have you got a hidden field in your form called "recipient"?

    > When I submit the form, the formmail script generates an email, but without
    > any field.

    Is that because the form handler checks the submission method, figures
    that as you've specified the recipient in the query string you're using
    GET, and there's nothing in the query string apart from the recipient's
    address?

    Have you read the documentation for the form handler and configured the
    form correctly?

    > Maybe this is just not possible.

    It is possible.

    > Is it possible in that case to use a form
    > that will trigger an email client by clicking the submit button?

    No. Bad idea.

    --
    Hywel I do not eat quiche
    http://kibo.org.uk/

    Hywel, Jun 17, 2004

  3. Van Duijn

    Van Duijn Guest

    "Hywel" <> schreef in bericht

    > Have you got a hidden field in your form called "recipient"?

    I tried with and without the hidden "recipient" field.
    With the hidden recipient field I added this: <form method="POST"
    action="http://www.domainname.com/cgi-bin/formmail.cgi">

    Without the hidden "recipient" field I added this:

    <form method="POST"
    action=http://www.domainname.com/cgi-bin/formmail.cgi?recipient=person@domai
    nname.com>

    But the script keeps informing me that the HTML form fails to specify the
    POST method.
    It is odd though that form and formmail script perform flawless when:
    - I check the newsletter from Internet Explorer and Netscape,
    - with the forms on the website,
    - and the script functions perfect even with forms I create in digital
    brochures (exe-files).

    But when I check the form from Outlook or Eudora there are problems.

    > Is that because the form handler checks the submission method, figures
    > that as you've specified the recipient in the query string you're using
    > GET, and there's nothing in the query string apart from the recipient's
    > address?
    >
    > Have you read the documentation for the form handler and configured the
    > form correctly?

    Yes, even our hosting company looked at it and couldn't provide me with an
    answer.

    Van Duijn, Jun 18, 2004