Easy Proxy

Robert Klemme

Hi,

it just occurred to me that one sometimes might want to use a proxy
for an instance variable which restricts access in some way.

class Proc
def proxy(meth)
class<<self;self;end.send:)alias_method, meth, :call)
self
end
end

class X
def initialize
@e = []
end

def entries
en = lambda {|x| @e << x if x >= 0; en}.proxy:)<<)
end
end

x = X.new
x.entries << 10 << -12 << 23
p x

You can even use it for things like this:

NULL = lambda {|y| y == 0}.proxy :===
POS = lambda {|y| y > 0}.proxy :===
NEG = lambda {|y| y < 0}.proxy :===

(-2..2).each do |i|
case i
when NEG
puts "#{i} NEG"
when NULL
puts "#{i} NULL"
when POS
puts "#{i} POS"
else
puts "#{i} what?"
end
end

Anybody think this should go into the core? (I'm not religious about the name.)

Kind regards

robert

Glen Holcomb

Hi,

it just occurred to me that one sometimes might want to use a proxy
for an instance variable which restricts access in some way.

class Proc
def proxy(meth)
class<<self;self;end.send:)alias_method, meth, :call)
self
end
end

class X
def initialize
@e =3D []
end

def entries
en =3D lambda {|x| @e << x if x >=3D 0; en}.proxy:)<<)
end
end

x =3D X.new
x.entries << 10 << -12 << 23
p x

You can even use it for things like this:

NULL =3D lambda {|y| y =3D=3D 0}.proxy :=3D=3D=3D
POS =3D lambda {|y| y > 0}.proxy :=3D=3D=3D
NEG =3D lambda {|y| y < 0}.proxy :=3D=3D=3D

(-2..2).each do |i|
case i
when NEG
puts "#{i} NEG"
when NULL
puts "#{i} NULL"
when POS
puts "#{i} POS"
else
puts "#{i} what?"
end
end

Anybody think this should go into the core? (I'm not religious about the
name.)

Kind regards

robert
Very slick and in my opinion highly useful. So, I guess I'm saying yes.

--=20
so loud, I can=92t hear a word you=92re saying."

-Greg Graffin (Bad Religion)

Brian Candler

Robert said:
Anybody think this should go into the core?

-1, because it's already easy to add singleton methods and/or build
proper wrapper classes with delegation - and the latter is usually a
better solution longer-term (*)

I do think that << should be more widely implemented: e.g. in Proc as an
alias for #call, and in Hash for 'add [key,value] pair', so it becomes
more useful for duck-typing. But I don't think that's the point you're
trying to make here.

Regards,

Brian.

(*) For example, the 'entries' proxy you return currently only
implements #<<. What if you later want it to implement #size or #empty?
or #first or ...

Also, objects with singleton classes cannot be marshaled.

Robert Klemme

2009/9/1 Brian Candler said:
-1, because it's already easy to add singleton methods and/or build
proper wrapper classes with delegation - and the latter is usually a
better solution longer-term (*)

The question is whether you always need a long term solution. We're
not all building long term applications with Ruby. And if there is a
feature which makes hacking scripts easier and does not hurt
application development, then why not?
I do think that << should be more widely implemented: e.g. in Proc as an
alias for #call, and in Hash for 'add [key,value] pair', so it becomes
more useful for duck-typing. But I don't think that's the point you're
trying to make here.

That's an interesting point! Then I would also ask for === to be an
alias for Proc#call by default. But wait: and what about +, - etc.?
(*) For example, the 'entries' proxy you return currently only
implements #<<. What if you later want it to implement #size or #empty?
or #first or ...

Then you just exchange the implementation and use Delagator or
something similar.
Also, objects with singleton classes cannot be marshaled.

True but I don't see that as an argument against providing such a
method. Otherwise Hash would not be allowed a default_proc either.
:)

Kind regards

robert