Easy-to-install-and-use scientific graphics (plotting) package forPython 2.5.1 on Linux Ubuntu 7.1

Dr. Colombes

Is there an easy scientific graphics (plotting) package for Python
2.5.1 running on Ubuntu Linux 7.1 ("Gutsy Gibbon")?

A few years ago I used PyLab (a MatLab-like plotting module for
Python) on a Windows machine, but I don't know if there is a similar
easy-to-install-and-use Python 2.5.1-compatible graphics package for
Ubuntu Linux 7.1?

Thanks for any suggestions.

Robert Kern

Dr. Colombes said:
Is there an easy scientific graphics (plotting) package for Python
2.5.1 running on Ubuntu Linux 7.1 ("Gutsy Gibbon")?

A few years ago I used PyLab (a MatLab-like plotting module for
Python) on a Windows machine, but I don't know if there is a similar
easy-to-install-and-use Python 2.5.1-compatible graphics package for
Ubuntu Linux 7.1?

matplotlib (which you misname PyLab) works with Python 2.5.1 on Ubuntu, too.

$ sudo apt-get install python-matplotlib

--
Robert Kern

an underlying truth."
-- Umberto Eco

Joshua Kugler

Is there an easy scientific graphics (plotting) package for Python
2.5.1 running on Ubuntu Linux 7.1 ("Gutsy Gibbon")?

A few years ago I used PyLab (a MatLab-like plotting module for
Python) on a Windows machine, but I don't know if there is a similar
easy-to-install-and-use Python 2.5.1-compatible graphics package for
Ubuntu Linux 7.1?

We've been using Matplotlib for a while, but are looking for alternatives.
I recently came across Chaco (http://code.enthought.com/chaco/) and am
quite impressed with what I see so far.

It's API is very clean, not requiring the "magic functions" (can we say
setp()?) that is required by matplotlib. Very OO, and from what I see of
example code, the API complies with PEP 8 conventions.

Installation was easy (easy_install), but for a couple packages, you will
need GCC, python-dev, and swig.

I haven't dug into it much, but it looks really, really promising.