Eclipse and ruby-debug

Wayne Magor

I'm using the RDT plugin for Ruby development in Eclipse on Windows. It
works fairly well, but it doesn't move the source window to the current
breakpoint line when it hits a breakpoint in the debugger, nor does it
even put an arrow or anything on the current line, so stepping through
code is not so fun. I've never used Eclipse before, so I'm not sure if
there is something I can set to make that work.

So I decided to try using ruby-debug as the debugger. I installed the
gems and at the command prompt it shows that rdebug-ide works (it's on
my path), but when I select "Use ruby-debug library" in Preferences ->
Ruby -> Debugger it gives the error:

Specified executable rdebug-ide does not exist for ruby 1.8.6

I've searched for how to fix this with no luck. Does anyone here have
an idea of what I should do to get ruby-debug working with Eclipse (or
how to get the source to sync up with the current line for the std
debugger)?

E:\>gem list ru

*** LOCAL GEMS ***

ruby-debug-base (0.9.3)
Fast Ruby debugger

ruby-debug-ide (0.1.8)
IDE interface for ruby-debug.

E:\>rdebug-ide -v
Using ruby-debug-base 0.9.3

Wayne Magor

Jay said:
Which RDT? I *think* the latest (which is now a part of Aptana
RadRails)
has at least some support for ruby-debug. If you're still using 0.9.0,
who
knows...

Interesting. Well, I have these installed in my Eclipse and I've
updated:

Aptana http://update.aptana.com/install/
RadRails http://radrails.sourceforge.net/update
Ruby RDT release build http://updatesite.rubypeople.org/release

I see that at RadRails.org there is this note:

Aptana Eclipse users: Use http://update.aptana.com/install/rails/3.2/ to
access the RadRails plugin.

I'm a little confused by this. So RadRails is now part of Aptana?
...and is RDT part of RadRails? Should I remove something from these
Eclipse update sites and change something else to be
http://update.aptana.com/install/rails/3.2/ ???

Wayne Magor

Jay said:
I would uninstall all Aptana, RadRails, and RDT plugins from your
system,
then start from scratch at:

OK, now we're getting somewhere... Did the uninstall/reinstall
(although RDT can't be uninstalled since the uninstall is grayed out,
but I just disabled it),however, I still get the source problem, but now
I do at least get a popup error message:

An internal error occurred during: "Debug Source Lookup".

Now, it's REALLY irritating because every time I step it pops up the
error dialog box again which I have to close. This is much worse! The
source file is in the current directory. Seems like going to a line
number should be pretty simple. Not sure what is causing this.

I now do know what caused the problem with ruby-debug since I got an
error message with this Aptana plug-in. Looks like there is one too
many /bin directories on the path to rdebug-ide. It also looks like it
has been fixed, however, an update doesn't correct it for me:

#5249 Path to rdebug-ide can have one "bin" too many
http://www.aptana.com/trac/ticket/5249

I just created another bin directory under the current one and copied
the rdebug-ide.cmd and rdebug-ide files into it. That's seems to have
gotten it going. Now if I can just turn off that damned popup error
message...

Adrie Donker

Wayne Magor wrote:

I do at least get a popup error message:

An internal error occurred during: "Debug Source Lookup".

... Now if I can just turn off that damned popup error message...

Wayne,

I'm having the same problem, I hope someone knows the answer!

GRTZ Adrie