Eclipse - Google Web Toolkit - very confused hope you can help?

Hi Folks,

I hope you give me a bit of help. I have just downloaded Eclipse which is
presently running on Windows XP however I intend to get a new HDD and put
Linux on this box in a few days time and run Eclipse on that.

In the mean time:

I think I have got the Java Runtime installed already, Add/Remove Programs
has got entries for:

J2SE Runtime Environment 5.0 Update 1
J2SE Runtime Environment 5.0 Update 2
J2SE Runtime Environment 5.0 Update 4
J2SE Runtime Environment 5.0 Update 6

Tutorial
<quote>
1. Got the http://www.eclipse.org/downloads/ page
2. Select Download link under Java Development Tools
3. Select the link for the release that you are working with.
4. Scroll down to the Example Plug-ins section and download the examples
archive.
</quote>

Java Development Tools doesn't seem to exist on
http://www.eclipse.org/downloads/. Where should I be going?

With the Google Web Toolkit I use projectCreator -eclispse MyProject it
generates a load of files but there doesn't seem to be any way of loading
the project.

Any idea what is going on here?

There is also "Getting Started with Java 5.0 development in Eclipse" Any
idea where this is supposed to be?

Sorry if these questions seem rather stupid, but it has got me a little
confused at the moment, and hopefully someone can help remove the fog.

IchBin

M said:
[...]

Are you saying you download and installed Eclipse SDK 3.1.2?

Goto
http://download.eclipse.org/webtools/downloads/drops/R-1.0.2-200604200208/
and download the all-in-all for you platform

And ask these questions in the correct newsgroup. That is, NNTP server
at news.eclipse.org newsgroup: eclipse.webtools
Need to get a free account at: http://www.eclipse.org/newsgroups

Thanks in Advance...
IchBin, Pocono Lake, Pa, USA

-William E. Taylor, Regular Guy (1952-)

Chris Uppal

M said:
I think I have got the Java Runtime installed already, Add/Remove Programs
has got entries for:

J2SE Runtime Environment 5.0 Update 1 [..]

Java Development Tools doesn't seem to exist on
http://www.eclipse.org/downloads/. Where should I be going?

You may not realise that there are /two/ main distributions of Java. One is
the JRE (Java Runtime Environment), which just gives you the tools necessary to
run Java programs which have already been compiled -- it's what a
non-programming end-user needs. The other is normally called the JDK (Java
Development Kit), which is what you need to write and compile Java programs.
Sun typically call it something similar to, but quite the same as, "JDK" (they
believe it helps us programmers if they change the names in arbitrary ways
every few months -- why they believe that is something I don't want to
speculate about ;-)

You can get the JDK from java.sun.com. Specifically:

http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.5.0/download.jsp

If you are using Eclipse, then you probably want the version which doesn't
include NetBeans (a "competing" IDE). It's a good idea to get the
documentation too (a separate link, rather further down the page).

-- chris

Chris said:
M said:
[...]

Thanks Chris.

I have managed to get both a java "hello world" consol and dialog program
working, so I am now going to turn my attention to the Google Web Toolkit
which was my original motivation for installing Eclipse.

From what I have seen I am *very* impressed. Considering it is Open Source
and when you compare it to Microsoft's IDE, well it early days but Eclipse
looks stunning. :)

Thanks for ALL your help, sorry if I posted this question in the wrong news
group. I figured as Java programmers you folks would point me in the right
direction and you have certainly managed to do that. :)

So Many Thanks,