ECLIPSE - slow deployment with WAS 6.0

pramodr

Hi group,

I am in the process of migrating one of the projects to WTP 1.5.4
(Eclipse 3.2) coupled with WAS 6.0. The development now happens with
RAD 6.0. I found few problems - the foremost being the slow deployment
and publishing of Eclipse. In RAD, I found that it is quite
instantaneous publish (or is it just copying just the modified
content ?) after saving jsp's which is not the case in Eclipse which
takes quite a long time which is not at all acceptable. Can somebody
give me a clue what is happening behind the scenes in both the cases
and what to look for with some links ?

regards
Pramod R

Arved Sandstrom

pramodr said:
Hi group,

I am in the process of migrating one of the projects to WTP 1.5.4
(Eclipse 3.2) coupled with WAS 6.0. The development now happens with
RAD 6.0. I found few problems - the foremost being the slow deployment
and publishing of Eclipse. In RAD, I found that it is quite
instantaneous publish (or is it just copying just the modified
content ?) after saving jsp's which is not the case in Eclipse which
takes quite a long time which is not at all acceptable. Can somebody
give me a clue what is happening behind the scenes in both the cases
and what to look for with some links ?

regards
Pramod R

I haven't used Eclipse 3.2, which is about 4 years old, in some time,
but I haven't used that version of WAS (which is about 6 years old) in
some time either. Being forced to use another ancient J2EE 1.4 server on
some other projects though, I feel your pain (even though for us we can
at least use the latest Eclipse versions with no problems, as well as
the latest JDKs).

Speaking of which, what version of the JDK do you use? Also, when you
say slow, and "long time", how bad is it?

Having said that, if I were faced with the same situation, I think the
first thing I'd do is review how much memory is assigned. The WAS
documentation will certainly have some guidelines.

Also, try doing the operations on the command line, leaving Eclipse
completely out of the equation, and see what happens.

AHS

[...]

Thanks AHS,

In fact I tried J2RE 1.4.2 IBM Windows 32 build cn142-20040926 that is
bundled with RAD. When I say slow, I mean it takes 2-3 minutes for
each publish. I shall try out your suggestions. I heard somewhere that
there was a deployment bug in WTP 1.5, which does a full deployment
instead of an incremental one. Let me try out a later version and try
that too.

regards
- Pramod

Mike Schilling

Lew said:
Any particular reason you use such an obsolescent Java version?

Because he's using WAS 6.0, which doesn't support JDK 1.5. As I've
explained in the past, those of us whose software has to run in
containers are constrained by the conservatism of the container
vendors, who feel no obligation to move to the latest version of Java,
and further constrained by the conservatism of our customers, who feel
no obligation to move to the latest version of the container.

Arne Vajhøj

Any particular reason you use such an obsolescent Java version?

That is not his decision.

IBM decides that.

I believe the relationship is:

WAS 4.0 ~ Java 1.3.1
WAS 5.0 ~ Java 1.3.1
WAS 5.1 ~ Java 1.4.2
WAS 6.0 ~ Java 1.4.2
WAS 6.1 ~ Java 1.5
WAS 7.0 ~ Java 1.6

Arne

pramodr

That is not his decision.

IBM decides that.

I believe the relationship is:

WAS 4.0 ~ Java 1.3.1
WAS 5.0 ~ Java 1.3.1
WAS 5.1 ~ Java 1.4.2
WAS 6.0 ~ Java 1.4.2
WAS 6.1 ~ Java 1.5
WAS 7.0 ~ Java 1.6

Arne

Yes, I was asked to investigate the combo of WAS 6.0 with WTP 1.5.
However there is a real problem of publishing being too slow - it does
a complete deployment which is not at all acceptable. I am trying some
other alternatives like Eclipse 3.4, however it does not work as well.
I can try WAS 6.1, but it does not have a plug-in yet for eclipse. Now
I am thinking of writing a deployment script to be run offline after
each edit.

Any suggestions ?

-Pramod

Lew

pramodr said:
I can try WAS 6.1, but it does not have a plug-in yet for eclipse.

I'm surprised to hear that, given how tightly it works with Eclipse-based
Rational Application Developer (RAD) and Rational Software Architect (RSA).

BTW, it took me less than five minutes of Google to find
<http://marketplace.eclipse.org/content/myeclipse-blue-edition>
<http://www.codeproject.com/KB/winsdk/Websphere61J2EEClient.aspx>
<http://wiki.eclipse.org/EclipseLink...ployed_on_IBM_WebSphere_6.1_using_Eclipse_WTP>
and more.

Maybe you should try a search before making such blanket statements.

pramodr

<http://wiki.eclipse.org/EclipseLink/Examples/JPA/WebSphere_Web_Tutori...>
and more.

Maybe you should try a search before making such blanket statements.

Sorry, I did not try out WAS 6.1 server plug-in yet. I am on the look
for a deployment script which does an incremental publish to WAS fast
enough for developers.

-Pramod