Eclipse tags/cscope support (other solutions welcome)

Nathan

Hey,

IMO Eclipse is the best C IDE available on Linux. However, the CDT
indexer keeps running out of memory (our product has several thousand
source files and several million LOC. It may also be due to symlinks
causing loops in the source tree). We have a way to build cscope/tags
files for the source tree. Is there a way to integrate cscope/tags
into Eclipse?

Obviously, if there are other solutions to this problem or alternative
IDEs I haven't considered (I tried and disliked KDevelop and gvim),
I'm open to those as well.

Thanks,
Nathan

Eric Sosman

Nathan said:
Hey,

IMO Eclipse is the best C IDE available on Linux. However, the CDT
indexer keeps running out of memory (our product has several thousand
source files and several million LOC. It may also be due to symlinks
causing loops in the source tree). We have a way to build cscope/tags
files for the source tree. Is there a way to integrate cscope/tags
into Eclipse?

Point #1: Development tools are at best marginally topical
on this newsgroup, which is concerned with the C language itself.
Your question, which has nothing to do with C and everything to
do with the specifics of one particular tool, is firmly outside
the bounds. I suggest you look for an Eclipse forum.

Point #2: Since you say the tool runs out of memory and fails
to fulfill its purpose, and since you are seeking a way to work
around the tool's inability to cope, I am at a loss to understand
just what you mean by "best."

Nathan

Eric,

I did a search and found another thread related to Eclipse problems on
this group (http://groups.google.com/group/comp.lang.c/browse_thread/
thread/7595a1b178ae1431/e80d4409158d8d6f?lnk=st&q=eclipse+cdt).
Granted, had I actually read more than a couple posts down I would
have seen that similar warnings to yours were given to that poster. My
apologies for being off-topic.

RE: point 2, by best I mean that it feels the most natural to me to
use, has the features I want, and exposes those features well through
the UI. I certanly don't mean best in an absolute sense, as I know
others prefer vim/gvim, emacs, slickedit, kdevelop, or what have you.
I just don't like working with any of those tools as much as I like
working with eclipse.

That said, I know that eclipse is far from perfect. This is one reason
why I solicited other possible solutions.

Nathan