    -thnx

    p.s. i tried both motif and gtk. motif looked to me a bit better on
    the performance ascpect (gtk has nicer look)

    kem1, Mar 2, 2004

  2. kem1

    Berlin Brown Guest

    kem1 wrote:
    > hi, i am using eclipse 3.0 on RedHat 9 nad it's a bit slow - my
    > machine is PIII 900 with 384MB RAM. I use KDE 3.1-12 and when eclipse
    > loads all the physical memory is gone. i have Win 2000 on the other
    > partition and the performance is a lot better even when i start jboss
    > on top of eclipse. I tried with 512MB ram and there was no improvement
    > in the linux environment. So, question is do i have to downgrade to
    > lower distro or change the linux distr (i'm not biased to RH). Or just
    > my CPU is not fast enough as Eclipse gives better performance on
    > Windows than on linux OS. Any advice or opinion appreciated.
    >
    > -thnx
    >
    > p.s. i tried both motif and gtk. motif looked to me a bit better on
    > the performance ascpect (gtk has nicer look)

    I like mandrake, I use both 8.2 and 9.1, both pretty fast. I used to be
    a Redhat fan too, it got way too bloated, too slow. Debian or slackware
    will probably be the fastest, but for the life of me I cant figure how
    to install them.

    Berlin Brown, Mar 2, 2004

  3. kem1

    Kristoffel Guest

    kem1 wrote:
    > hi, i am using eclipse 3.0 on RedHat 9 nad it's a bit slow - my
    > machine is PIII 900 with 384MB RAM. I use KDE 3.1-12 and when eclipse
    > loads all the physical memory is gone. i have Win 2000 on the other
    > partition and the performance is a lot better even when i start jboss
    > on top of eclipse. I tried with 512MB ram and there was no improvement
    > in the linux environment. So, question is do i have to downgrade to
    > lower distro or change the linux distr (i'm not biased to RH). Or just
    > my CPU is not fast enough as Eclipse gives better performance on
    > Windows than on linux OS. Any advice or opinion appreciated.
    >
    > -thnx
    >
    > p.s. i tried both motif and gtk. motif looked to me a bit better on
    > the performance ascpect (gtk has nicer look)

    RedHat is OK, but KDE 3.1 is slow (for most java applications).
    WindowMaker is faster.

    Kristoffel, Mar 2, 2004
  4. kem1

    Sudsy Guest

    kem1 wrote:
    > hi, i am using eclipse 3.0 on RedHat 9 nad it's a bit slow - my
    > machine is PIII 900 with 384MB RAM. I use KDE 3.1-12 and when eclipse
    > loads all the physical memory is gone. i have Win 2000 on the other
    > partition and the performance is a lot better even when i start jboss
    > on top of eclipse. I tried with 512MB ram and there was no improvement
    > in the linux environment. So, question is do i have to downgrade to
    > lower distro or change the linux distr (i'm not biased to RH). Or just
    > my CPU is not fast enough as Eclipse gives better performance on
    > Windows than on linux OS. Any advice or opinion appreciated.

    I believe that you're memory-constrained. One quick way to check would
    be to run top and check memory utilization stats. Eclipse works just
    fine on my RedHat platform, but then I've got 768 MB of RAM and the
    processor is an AMD XP1800+...

    Sudsy, Mar 2, 2004
  5. kem1

    Jon A. Cruz Guest

    Kristoffel wrote:
    > RedHat is OK, but KDE 3.1 is slow (for most java applications).
    > WindowMaker is faster.

    RedHat is a distribution.
    KDE is a desktop.
    WindowMaker is a Window Manager.

    Three different things that don't compare so directly. For example, by
    default RedHat allows the user to install a "KDE Desktop" or a "GNOME
    Desktop".

    Also, though KDE is made to run only with KDE's window manager, one can
    easily switch the window manager being used by GNOME. IIRC, WindowMaker
    can even be used with it.

    Jon A. Cruz, Mar 2, 2004
  6. kem1

    Kristoffel Guest

    Jon A. Cruz wrote:
    > Kristoffel wrote:
    >
    >> RedHat is OK, but KDE 3.1 is slow (for most java applications).
    >> WindowMaker is faster.

    > RedHat is a distribution.
    > KDE is a desktop.
    > WindowMaker is a Window Manager.
    >
    > Three different things that don't compare so directly. For example, by
    > default RedHat allows the user to install a "KDE Desktop" or a "GNOME
    > Desktop".
    >
    > Also, though KDE is made to run only with KDE's window manager, one can
    > easily switch the window manager being used by GNOME. IIRC, WindowMaker
    > can even be used with it.

    I think that you can start WindowMaker directly from the loginscreen of
    RedHat 9 and without starting "KDE Desktop" or "GNOME Desktop".

    If you start WindowMaker from the loginscreen, (java-)applications as
    Eclipse, OpenOffice, Netbeans, ... are faster (but slower then NT
    Windows2000).

    Kristoffel, Mar 2, 2004
  7. kem1

    Jean Lutrin Guest

    (kem1) wrote in message news:<>...
    > hi, i am using eclipse 3.0 on RedHat 9 nad it's a bit slow

    (snip)

    Hi,

    first of all, maybe 384 Mo is not enough for Eclipse + KDE...
    Is it out of question to add 256 or 512 Mo in the computer !?
    (when I switched from 256 to 512 I really noticed a difference)

    I develop under Linux only, using a Red Hat 9 distro, slightly
    modified :

    - I use a kernel from Fedora Core 1 (2.4.22-1 as opposed
    to the "stock" Red Hat 9 kernel which is 2.4.20-8). This more
    recent kernel fixed some strange occasional 2 to 3 seconds lockups
    I had.

    - I use the Gnome desktop, with the default gnome window manager
    that Red Hat installs (metacity I think)... But I "removed" Nautilus.

    I have a P4 with only 512 Mo (I don't consider it to be that much
    since Ram are so cheap nowadays).

    The machine has constantly running :

    Mozilla
    Sylpheed (email client, with nearly 4.000 emails in my Inbox now)
    IntelliJ IDEA (Java 1.4.2_01 and IntelliJ 3.0.4)
    Countless virtual terminals (gnome-terminal)

    And sometimes I "xhost" a X Window session for another developer, who
    has a slower computer, that he uses as a "graphical terminal".

    Even with so many tasks running, I can barely hear the hard disk working,
    there's nearly no swapping going on...

    The developer sitting next to me as the exact same machine as mine,
    running Windows XP : his system is way slower than mine and you can
    hear is hard disk working constantly. He is considering switching
    to Linux now...

    Anyway, I think you have several "problems" :

    - KDE is heavier than Gnome
    - 384 Mo ram is borderline for KDE + Eclipse
    - Eclipse under Linux is kind of slow, for a reason I don't
    get (for example, IntelliJ IDEA, which is a Swing app, is really
    fast under Linux...).

    I used to work with Eclipse, under Linux, and it wasn't that great : Eclipse
    was actually faster under Windows. Don't get me wrong : I like Eclipse. If you
    ask me the two favorites IDE I would use to do Java development I'd answer
    IntelliJ first than Eclipse second (and I tried several others).

    Try to use one of the latest kernel from Fedora Core 1 (stay with 2.4 kernels) :
    they tend to be a little faster and less buggy (I don't say stock RH9 kernel
    is buggy, but for me switching to newer kernel fixed some bugs).

    Try switching KDE for a "bare" Gnome (I prevent Nautilus from starting
    when Gnome loads up : you really feel the difference... And if you really
    need Nautilus you can still lauch it, say, from the command line).

    If the improvment is not enough, buy more ram (if you can add ram to the
    computer and have enough money).

    If it's still not fast enough : you don't have many other options :(

    Buy/ask your boss/department a faster computer or buy IntelliJ if you've
    nothing particular against "non Open Source" software.

    IntelliJ is really that much better : I don't know a single developer
    who switched from IntelliJ to Eclipse... while I know several who
    switched from Eclipse to IntelliJ (now, of course, there may be a
    few exceptions).

    Good luck fixing your problem,

    Jean

    P.S. : I'll switch back to Eclipse if/when it catches up IntelliJ and
    when there will be good JSP support (all the plugins I tried "back in
    the days" where not very good...).

    Jean Lutrin, Mar 3, 2004
  8. kem1

    Jon A. Cruz Guest

    Kristoffel wrote:

    > I think that you can start WindowMaker directly from the loginscreen of
    > RedHat 9 and without starting "KDE Desktop" or "GNOME Desktop".

    Depends on your configuration.

    :)

    For me, the loginscreen is plain text. I get no graphics till after I
    login and choose what to do.

    > If you start WindowMaker from the loginscreen, (java-)applications as
    > Eclipse, OpenOffice, Netbeans, ... are faster (but slower then NT
    > Windows2000).

    Have you compared that to running Java applications from a GNOME desktop
    after having switched it's window manager from whatever it happens to be
    (sawfish, metacity, etc) to WindowMaker?

    Jon A. Cruz, Mar 3, 2004
  9. kem1

    Jon Skeet Guest

    kem1 <> wrote:
    > hi, i am using eclipse 3.0 on RedHat 9 nad it's a bit slow

    Eclipse 3.0 isn't out yet, which means you're presumably using one of
    the milestone releases. I believe 3.0-M6 was particularly slow - if
    you're using that, you might want to try one of the more recent ones.

    --
    Jon Skeet - <>
    http://www.pobox.com/~skeet

    Jon Skeet, Mar 4, 2004
  10. kem1

    Kristoffel Guest

    Jon A. Cruz wrote:
    > Have you compared that to running Java applications from a GNOME desktop
    > after having switched it's window manager from whatever it happens to be
    > (sawfish, metacity, etc) to WindowMaker?

    No, I never launch the GNOME desktop. GNOME is not installed, I have
    only KDE and WindowMaker.
    From the login screen, I launch the session 'failsafe', and then I
    launch 'wmaker' (I know that you can configure it so that you can start
    it directly from the loginscreen in).
    Starting java application (eclipse, netbeans, OpenOffice, ...) with only
    WindowMaker is at least three three faster then "KDE 3.1".

    Kristoffel, Mar 4, 2004
  11. Jon Skeet wrote:
    > kem1 <> wrote:
    >> hi, i am using eclipse 3.0 on RedHat 9 nad it's a bit slow

    > Eclipse 3.0 isn't out yet, which means you're presumably using one of
    > the milestone releases. I believe 3.0-M6 was particularly slow - if
    > you're using that, you might want to try one of the more recent ones.

    I just tried 3.0-M7 gtk2 version and it is as fast/slow (depending on your
    optimism level) as WSAD 2.1 (which is actually Eclipse 2.1 + add-ons), also
    gtk2. My machine is P3/500MHz, 512MB RAM, Mandrake 9.2 and default KDE.

    So, the original poster might want to try that release.

    --
    Davor Cengija,

    Davor Cengija, Mar 4, 2004
  12. kem1

    Jon A. Cruz Guest

    Kristoffel wrote:
    > No, I never launch the GNOME desktop. GNOME is not installed, I have
    > only KDE and WindowMaker.

    Ahh. There's a lot of the problem.

    > Starting java application (eclipse, netbeans, OpenOffice, ...) with only
    > WindowMaker is at least three three faster then "KDE 3.1".

    Of course. Since you're not running the whole suite of programs known as
    the KDE desktop environment. Also, KDE has it's own full-featured window
    manager (kwin) that you can't easily switch out. GNOME allows for
    switching the window manager from the different settings places.

    You could look into switching things out through maybe manually editing
    startup scripts or manually killing processes.

    Or you could try running top to see what's taking up your CPU.

    Jon A. Cruz, Mar 4, 2004
  13. Try JEdit. It takes a bit of time to configure, but once your
    configured it's a solid environment and very fast.

    Mike Nishizawa, Mar 4, 2004