Egg deinstallation

mk

Hello everyone,

I googled and googled and can't seem to find the definitive answer: how
to *properly* deinstall egg? Just delete the folder and/or .py and .pyc
files from Lib/site-packages? Would that break anything in Python
installation or not?

Regards,
mk

Diez B. Roggisch

mk said:
Hello everyone,

I googled and googled and can't seem to find the definitive answer: how
to *properly* deinstall egg? Just delete the folder and/or .py and .pyc
files from Lib/site-packages? Would that break anything in Python
installation or not?

It depends on how you installed it. If it is done via
setuptools/easy_install, you should also clean up the

site-packages/easy-install.pth

file.

Diez

Ned Deily

It depends on how you installed it. If it is done via
setuptools/easy_install, you should also clean up the

site-packages/easy-install.pth

file.

.... and which you can do by editing that file directly or by using the
easy_install -m option to mark the egg as multi-version before deleting.
In either case, keep in mind that the egg may have installed one or more
scripts; those have to be removed manually.

<http://peak.telecommunity.com/DevCenter/EasyInstall#uninstalling-package
s>

excord80

Hello everyone,

I googled and googled and can't seem to find the definitive answer: how
to *properly* deinstall egg? Just delete the folder and/or .py and .pyc
files from Lib/site-packages? Would that break anything in Python
installation or not?

As an aside, note that there's no automated way to uninstall (for
exmaple, like doing "aptitude purge" or "make uninstall"). It's a
known problem with setuptools/eggs/easy_install/whatever.

Dunno if pip [1] yet solves this problem or not.

http://pip.openplans.org/

Jeff McNeil

Hello everyone,

I googled and googled and can't seem to find the definitive answer: how
to *properly* deinstall egg? Just delete the folder and/or .py and .pyc
files from Lib/site-packages? Would that break anything in Python
installation or not?

Regards,
mk

You might find a tool like VirtualEnv (http://pypi.python.org/pypi/
virtualenv/1.3.2) useful. It allows you to create a localized sandbox
such that you don't stomp all over your system installation or require
elevated privileges. It's good for development or toying with
different eggs. When you're done, simply blow away the environment.
I've used it for just about everything over the past few months, it's
a wonderful tool.

Jeff