Element is not a known element. This can occur if there is a compilation error in the Web site

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by MK, Jun 7, 2006.

  1. MK

    MK Guest

    Hi,

    I am having problem while adding user control into a user control in
    2005 WAP project.
    The controls are in the same project.

    When I try to drag and drop the user control into and user control I
    just get the path of the user control.

    When I try to add manually using <%@Register the user control just
    shows up but without any properties. Even in the code I am not able to
    acess the properties or any public methods of the user control I added.

    Here is the error message, I got when I compiled "Element {Element
    Name} is not a known element. This can occur if there is a compilation
    error in the Web site".

    I also added the <%@Reference tag but it did not help.

    Any help will be appreciated. Thanks.
    MK, Jun 7, 2006

  2. MK

    Jyothish Guest

    Hi,

    Have you got any luck for this issue. I am facing the same. Any help
    will be appreciated

    Thanks
    Jyothish

    Jyothish, Jun 29, 2006

  3. MK

    jstitzel33

    Joined:
    Jul 10, 2006
    Messages:
    1
    I am having the same problem. I was just wondering if you ever found out what was going on. I'm kind of at a stand still thanks to this little gem.
    jstitzel33, Jul 10, 2006
  4. Re: Element is not a known element. This can occur if there is a c

    Did you find the solution? Thanks, Dave

    =?Utf-8?B?RGF2ZQ==?=, Jul 20, 2006
  5. MK

    Kostkac

    Joined:
    Jun 11, 2008
    Messages:
    1
    Solution

    Hi, I'm using VS90 PRO and i think i have solution. When you click project by right mouse button and choose clean and after that rebuild its fine and working for me.

    Hope this helps.
    Kostkac, Jun 11, 2008
  6. MK

    deftflux

    Joined:
    Jun 27, 2008
    Messages:
    1
    Same problem in VS2008, but I figured it out. Apparently it doesn't think to check the same assembly the code is executing from, so you have to specify the assembly name in the register tag. Example:

    <%@ Register TagPrefix="abc" Namespace="MyNamespace" Assembly="MyAssembly" %>

    This must be new to VS2005 because when I migrated it automatically added the assembly attribute to some of the files; why it missed some I don't know...
    deftflux, Jun 27, 2008