else block is not processed

shanutallfat

Hi every one!
Im new wth jsp.. i ll b grateful if ny1 can help me with this!! thankz
in advance!

The else condition is not getting processed in the jsp file but if
condition processes fine!!!
first here is the code of the html file:-

<form name="mod" method="post" action="emp_verify.jsp">
<h1 align="center">Modify Employee</h1>
<h2 align="left">Enter The Employee Id to modify the details:
<input type="text" name="T1"> </h2>
</form>
<hr>

NOW THIS IS THE CODING OF emp_verify.jsp:-

<%@page language="java" import="java.sql.*" %>

<%
String id=request.getParameter("T1");

try{

Connection con=DriverManager.getConnection("jdbc:eek:dbc:es123","","");

PreparedStatement ps=con.prepareStatement("select * from addition
where emp_id=?");
ps.setString(1,id);

ResultSet rs=ps.executeQuery();

if (rs.next()) {
%>
<!-- when successful page turns to emp_about.jsp--!>

<jsp:forward page="emp_about.jsp" />

<% } else { %>

<!--but when unsuccessfull this is not displayed --!>

not found

<% } %>
<% }
catch(Exception e){} %>

when entry is found, control is properly transfered to emp_about.jsp,
but
when entry is not found in the database the code in else condition
doesnt shows up!!!

my browser- IE 7
server- TOMCAT6.0

plz help me with this i m new in jsp!!!
thank you!!!

GArlington

[...]

So, what does it do when you expect it to get to "else" part? Goes to
"emp_about.jsp"? Or displays empty page? Or something else?

shanutallfat

i want the browser window to show this- " employee id you have entered
is not present in the database!"

shanutallfat

also i ll add this-
Employee id you have entered does not exist in the database!
you may <a href="home.jsp">click to go home</a>

GArlington

also i ll add this-
Employee id you have entered does not exist in the database!
you may <a href="home.jsp">click to go home</a>

So, why don't you?
What DOES it do when it does NOT find a record now?

shanutallfat

Whenever i enter an ID which is not present in the database and hit
enter, nothing happens.. the browser displays the same html file
only!
( here i expect it to display " not found")

Donkey Hot

(e-mail address removed) wrote in @w1g2000prk.googlegroups.com:
Hi every one!
Im new wth jsp.. i ll b grateful if ny1 can help me with this!! thankz
in advance!

The else condition is not getting processed in the jsp file but if
condition processes fine!!!

<!-- when successful page turns to emp_about.jsp--!>

<jsp:forward page="emp_about.jsp" />

<% } else { %>

<!--but when unsuccessfull this is not displayed --!>

not found

You use "--!>" to close a html comment. Is't it supposed to be "-->" ?

Dunno.. The jsp:forward should not work either, if I'm right.

shanutallfat

plz dont mind the wrong comments in the code, in real i have not
inserted any comments but i used them here just to make fellow members
understand where is my problem , here i know their syntax is wrong.

Lew

plz dont mind the wrong comments in the code, in real i [sic] have not

Ewww! Txtsp33k!
inserted any comments but i [sic] used them here just to make fellow members
understand where is my problem , here i [sic] know their syntax is wrong.

That makes it rather difficult for people who might try to reproduce
your problem, only to find that your code sample fails to demonstrate
it, or demonstrates some different problem that impedes their
analysis.

<http://pscode.org/sscce.html>

GArlington

plz dont mind the wrong comments in the code, in real i have not
inserted any comments but i used them here just to make fellow members
understand where is my problem , here i know their syntax is wrong.

1. DO NOT use sms type abbreviations in newsgroups.
2. ALWAYS copy and paste your code [and REMOVE, NOT EDIT any
irrelevant parts].
3. DO NOT add anything or change anything in the code.
Then we have better chance to help you...

GArlington

Whenever i enter an ID which is not present in the database and hit
enter, nothing happens.. the browser displays the  same html file
only!
( here i expect it to display " not found")

Do you mean it DOES NOT get submitted? It gets redirected back to
ENTRY/search page? Or it gets redirected to details page with no info?