email address obfuscation

Dan

Beauregard said:
Why only in links? This says "mailto:" (in lower case) no matter where
you use it..

mailto:

Those are numeric HTML character references using the ampersand syntax,
not hex entities using the percent-sign syntax. The former are part of
the HTML (and SGML and XML) syntax, while the latter are part of the
URI syntax; these are totally different things, even if both may be
used in the same document. To complicate things even further, you
might also have JavaScript and CSS embedded in the same document, with
their own syntax rules; and you might also generate the entire document
through a server-side language such as PHP or Perl, adding yet further
syntax rules to the mix. Maybe that server-side language also embeds
commands in yet another language such as SQL or Unix/Linux shell. I've
dealt with projects myself in which a large number of languages, and
character-escaping rules, applied all in the same file.

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

Dan said:
Those are numeric HTML character references using the ampersand syntax,
not hex entities using the percent-sign syntax.

Yeah, you're right. I lost track... not enough coffee this morning...

Joe (GKF)

Me too.

OK Joe, I will confess something to you... you know how you said
I might be feeling like a dill... well a couple of things about
this:

(1) That's the sweetest thing you have ever said to me... you
little cucumber yourself...

but

(2) I was imagining different types of spam robots:

a. The sort that live in a little robot-house somewhere. They
have a little sleep and get up and have a little oil and turn on
their html source only browsers. Their job is to get the email
addresses by looking at source only. Some use javascript and
entity type decoders, some don't.
that's the kind we get on this planet
b. The sort that have some of their members using little
monitors. Their job is to get the email addresses by looking at
what is on their little screens. They are made a bit different to
the other robots
Now, I reckon this is more than dillish, I boast that it is
outright idiocy. Never overestimate me. In my case, it is a
special martian trait, less is more.
You make me smile. Here, have a lolly - I made them today.
http://graspages.cjb.cc/recipe06/other/lollies.html

Joe (GKF)

Thanks. Here is my latest:

1. nice licorice