EMBED - how critical a tag is it?

The Doormouse

I am thinking of ditching this tag in favor of OBJECT exclusively.
Sure, I will lose a few viewers, but - how many?

Who will I lose?

Thanks all.

The Doormouse

DU

The said:
I am thinking of ditching this tag in favor of OBJECT exclusively.
Sure, I will lose a few viewers, but - how many?

Who will I lose?

Thanks all.

The Doormouse

Probably none if they use a recent version of a W3C web standards
compliant browser like
- Mozilla 1.x and its derivatives
- Netscape 7.x
- MSIE 6
- Opera 7.x

In any case, if you provide a fallback content for user agents not able
to render the <object> element, then it should still work.

13.3.1 Rules for rendering objects
"If the user agent is not able to render the object for whatever reason
(configured not to, lack of resources, wrong architecture, etc.), it
must try to render its contents."
http://www.w3.org/TR/html401/struct/objects.html#h-13.3.1

DU

brucie

in post: <
The Doormouse said:
I am thinking of ditching this tag [embed] in favor of OBJECT exclusively.

why? the only thing i can think of off the top of my <head> is having a
nice standards compliant page which is lots of fun but it doesn't mean
shit if the page doesn't work for your visitors. if its an issue having
an error pop up add the element to the dtd.
Sure, I will lose a few viewers, but - how many?
Who will I lose?

http://www.blooberry.com/indexdot/html/tagpages/e/embed.htm
http://www.blooberry.com/indexdot/html/tagpages/o/object.htm

Spartanicus

The Doormouse said:
I am thinking of ditching this tag in favor of OBJECT exclusively.
Sure, I will lose a few viewers, but - how many?

Who will I lose?

Why would you lose visitors simply because an embedded element will not
work for them? Is that all there is on your site?

As I've told you before, the process of embedding is fraught with
problems, whether you use the <embed> or the <object> method.

Jukka K. Korpela

DU said:
In any case, if you provide a fallback content for user agents not
able to render the <object> element, then it should still work.

Yes it _should_.

But browsers have broken implementations of said:
13.3.1 Rules for rendering objects
"If the user agent is not able to render the object for whatever
reason (configured not to, lack of resources, wrong architecture,
etc.), it must try to render its contents."

You might start testing with <object data="foo.gif">Foo bar</object> in a
situation where foo.gif does not exist. When the most widespread browser
gets even _this_ simple thing right, it might be time to start studying
whether we could really use <object>.

(You get "interesting" results if you add the attributes
width="100" height="100"
into the <object> tag.)