    application (calc.exe) inside.

    Thanks,
    Iván

    jtayamai, Sep 3, 2009

  2. On Sep 3, 2:00 pm, jtayamai <> wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > Does anybody know how to embed an MFC C++ Window into a signed
    > Applet?
    >
    > I mean, referencing the handle hWnd of that window so that via JNI it
    > can be embedded into a JPanel or something similar.
    >
    > An easy example would be a JPanel of an Applet with the Calculator
    > application (calc.exe) inside.

    I seriously doubt that it's possible. AWT[1] does not expose low level
    access to the screen, everything you can draw must pass through an
    instance of the java.awt.Graphics class. So I can't see how a non-java
    application can run inside an AWT component. Maybe you can have better
    luck using SWT, which I don't know; I know they can embed the native
    OS browser inside Eclipse, and if this feature is exposed somehow, you
    can exploit it. However, that would probably require writing some JNI
    C glue. Also, I don't think SWT can be used in applets (since Applet
    is a class in java.awt), but I could be wrong.

    hth,
    Alessio

    [1] you mentioned JPanel, which is part of Swing; Swing is a
    lightweight, "pure Java" GUI library: as such, you cannot generally
    embed native components inside it without problems (not even AWT
    ones!). If that's possible at all, definitely you need AWT, not Swing.

    Alessio Stalla, Sep 3, 2009

  3. jtayamai

    jtayamai Guest

    OK Thank you very much for your help.

    Assuming Applets may constitute a closed way because of their
    belonging to the awt package and the need of making use of some kind
    of Graphics rendering, then, what about using any other stand-alone
    container JPanel, JDialog, JFrame, ... to host a MFC windows?

    jtayamai, Sep 3, 2009
  4. jtayamai

    Roedy Green Guest

    On Thu, 3 Sep 2009 05:00:44 -0700 (PDT), jtayamai
    who said :

    >Does anybody know how to embed an MFC C++ Window into a signed
    >Applet?

    I think that would be extremely difficult. It would be much easier to
    send C++ data to Java to display or vice versa.
    --
    Roedy Green Canadian Mind Products
    http://mindprod.com

    "People think of security as a noun, something you go buy. In reality, it’s an abstract concept like happiness. Openness is unbelievably helpful to security."
    ~ James Gosling (born: 1955-05-18 age: 54), inventor of Java.

    Roedy Green, Sep 4, 2009
  5. jtayamai

    jtayamai Guest

    I think that the low-level communication approach will be a bit
    complicated with already developed applications, such as calc or
    mspaint, but it could be a good starting point for new applications I
    can develop. Thanks.

    jtayamai, Sep 8, 2009