Embedded Fonts - Where are they now?

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by DamienS, Jul 1, 2008.

  1. DamienS

    DamienS Guest

    Hi,

    After many years of using html/css/asp etc for the first time I've had
    a requirement to use a custom font in a website. "That shouldn't be
    too hard" thought I, "that would be a pretty common thing to want to
    do, surely there's a million solutions to it".

    Anyway - jumping into Google I was surprised at what I found. As far
    as I can tell, "embedded fonts" came about circa early 90's that
    involved packaging fonts into some sort of binary that was downloaded
    to the browser, however due to compatibility and legal issues with the
    typographers, the whole thing fell in a heap.

    So - my question is, where are we now? Using ASP 3.5 in 2008, is there
    some practical, 'real world' solution? Or, do I need to go to my
    marketing manager with bad news?

    Thanks very much in advance,

    DamienS

    DamienS, Jul 1, 2008

  2. DamienS

    bruce barker Guest

    you are too early to the party.

    w3c has been working on a solution since 2.0, but it went away in 2.1,
    now css 3.0 defines a rule for font-faces:

    http://www.w3.org/TR/css3-webfonts/#font-descriptions

    currently the only browser supporting @font-faces is the open source
    webkit (safari)

    ie has a proprietary method:

    http://www.microsoft.com/typography/web/embedding/weft3/

    the most common approach is to just use an image to get the correct font.

    -- bruce (sqlwork.com)

    bruce barker, Jul 1, 2008

  3. DamienS

    DamienS Guest

    Thanks Bruce. That's a big help.

    > the most common approach is to just use an image to get the correct font.

    Sure. The site had a lot of 'body' text in this font though... I guess
    that we'll just have to find another one that will do.

    Thanks again,

    Damien

    DamienS, Jul 1, 2008
  4. Microsoft created a tool called WEFT, Windows Embedded Font Technology,
    which is available through http://www.microsoft.com/typography. The problem
    is: it only works with IE, users still need to download the font, the page
    size increases with the font. In my experience, end-users hate this. They
    don't want to install an extra anything to view one single web site and may
    receive warnings because it's binary data so their anti-virus may get
    involved to check it out. Best bet though, don't bother. If you need custom
    fonts you should see if you can focus them into a particular area that could
    be created into a graphic. This keeps it from requiring special extras,
    works cross-browser, and limits the annoyance factor as many users like
    seeing certain standard fonts, and once an embedded font gets used in one
    spot it tends to creep throughout the site.

    Hope this helps,
    Mark Fitzpatrick
    Microsoft MVP - Expression

    Mark Fitzpatrick, Jul 1, 2008