Embedded Fonts - Where are they now?

DamienS

Hi,

After many years of using html/css/asp etc for the first time I've had
a requirement to use a custom font in a website. "That shouldn't be
too hard" thought I, "that would be a pretty common thing to want to
do, surely there's a million solutions to it".

Anyway - jumping into Google I was surprised at what I found. As far
as I can tell, "embedded fonts" came about circa early 90's that
involved packaging fonts into some sort of binary that was downloaded
to the browser, however due to compatibility and legal issues with the
typographers, the whole thing fell in a heap.

So - my question is, where are we now? Using ASP 3.5 in 2008, is there
some practical, 'real world' solution? Or, do I need to go to my
marketing manager with bad news?

Thanks very much in advance,

DamienS

bruce barker

DamienS

Thanks Bruce. That's a big help.
the most common approach is to just use an image to get the correct font.

Sure. The site had a lot of 'body' text in this font though... I guess
that we'll just have to find another one that will do.

Thanks again,

Damien

Mark Fitzpatrick

Microsoft created a tool called WEFT, Windows Embedded Font Technology,
which is available through http://www.microsoft.com/typography. The problem
is: it only works with IE, users still need to download the font, the page
size increases with the font. In my experience, end-users hate this. They
don't want to install an extra anything to view one single web site and may
receive warnings because it's binary data so their anti-virus may get
involved to check it out. Best bet though, don't bother. If you need custom
fonts you should see if you can focus them into a particular area that could
be created into a graphic. This keeps it from requiring special extras,
works cross-browser, and limits the annoyance factor as many users like
seeing certain standard fonts, and once an embedded font gets used in one
spot it tends to creep throughout the site.

Hope this helps,
Mark Fitzpatrick
Microsoft MVP - Expression

DamienS