Embedded product development and C/C++/Java

Discussion in 'C Programming' started by Hyoung Lee, Jul 10, 2003.

  1. Hyoung Lee

    Hyoung Lee Guest

    Due to performance reasons--code size, real-time accuracy, and power
    consumption--many embedded SW engineers traditionally develop embedded
    products in assembly languages. However, thanks to the higher CPU capacity
    and lower CPU unit price, more embedded products are being written in C and
    some in EC++ or EJava.

    I seem to recall the latest statistics in 2002 which exhibits the following
    distribution:

    Assembly: 30%
    C: 60%
    C++/Java: 10%

    Does anyone have the recent statistics on the distribution? Is this
    trend--largely adopting C as the primary language for developing embedded
    products, and slowly transitioning to C++/Java--still true? What do you
    think?

    Hyoung
    Hyoung Lee, Jul 10, 2003

  2. Hyoung Lee

    madhukar_bm Guest

    "Hyoung Lee" <> wrote in message news:<6x5Pa.57119$>...
    > Due to performance reasons--code size, real-time accuracy, and power
    > consumption--many embedded SW engineers traditionally develop embedded
    > products in assembly languages. However, thanks to the higher CPU capacity
    > and lower CPU unit price, more embedded products are being written in C and
    > some in EC++ or EJava.
    >
    > I seem to recall the latest statistics in 2002 which exhibits the following
    > distribution:
    >
    > Assembly: 30%
    > C: 60%
    > C++/Java: 10%
    >
    > Does anyone have the recent statistics on the distribution? Is this
    > trend--largely adopting C as the primary language for developing embedded
    > products, and slowly transitioning to C++/Java--still true? What do you
    > think?

    Even though c,c++/java are being used in embedded products, most of
    them use a cross compiler before actual embedding, futhur the
    optimising is better done in assembly then any other language
    Madhukar
    madhukar_bm, Jul 10, 2003

  3. Thomas Matthews wrote:
    [...]
    > Trolling and trolls are not appreciated in this newsgroup.

    That, of course, is not true.

    regards,
    alexander.
    Alexander Terekhov, Jul 10, 2003