Embedded python: dotted (sub) module name

logistix at cathoderaymission.net

I get the feeling I'm just picking the wrong google search phrase
here, because I'm finding nothing. I'm trying to namespace out some
embedded python modules. This works:

Py_InitModule("game", py_game_methods);

but this doesn't:

Py_InitModule("quake.game", py_game_methods);

What am I missing here? Any help would be appreciated.

Carl Banks

logistix said:
I get the feeling I'm just picking the wrong google search phrase
here, because I'm finding nothing. I'm trying to namespace out some
embedded python modules. This works:

Py_InitModule("game", py_game_methods);

but this doesn't:

Py_InitModule("quake.game", py_game_methods);

What am I missing here? Any help would be appreciated.

A module's package is defined the importer, not by the module itself.
Move a module file to a different directory, and BAM, it's in a
different package.

If your only wish is to make it so that someone can import your
extension module using "from quake import game", then it is enough to
just copy the DLL or shared lib into the proper directory. (Well, you
also have to remember to put an __init__.py file in the quake
directory.)

logistix at cathoderaymission.net

Carl Banks said:
A module's package is defined the importer, not by the module itself.
Move a module file to a different directory, and BAM, it's in a
different package.

If your only wish is to make it so that someone can import your
extension module using "from quake import game", then it is enough to
just copy the DLL or shared lib into the proper directory. (Well, you
also have to remember to put an __init__.py file in the quake
directory.)

Thanks, but I don't have a physical .pyd since this is an embedded
interpreter. I'm just calling my 'init_module()' function directly
from C, similar to the way array and other modules are statically
added to the python dll.