Embedded Systems, please suggest microcontroller and compiler

Martin Wells

I'm doing an embedded systems college project this year. I making a
portable device that will take input in the form of simple switches,
and give output in the form of LED's. I haven't yet decided whether
I'll use C or C++, but could someone please suggest to me a
microcontroller and compiler combination that might be useful?

Martin

werasm

Martin said:
I'm doing an embedded systems college project this year. I making a
portable device that will take input in the form of simple switches,
and give output in the form of LED's. I haven't yet decided whether
I'll use C or C++, but could someone please suggest to me a
microcontroller and compiler combination that might be useful?

It's usually not my decision, but as far as "microcontroller" is
concerned, I suppose it depends on how much money you
want to spend.

Regards,

Werner

DJ

I'm doing an embedded systems college project this year. I making a
portable device that will take input in the form of simple switches,
and give output in the form of LED's. I haven't yet decided whether
I'll use C or C++, but could someone please suggest to me a
microcontroller and compiler combination that might be useful?

Martin

Try Atmel AVR or 8051 - both have free c compilers. GCC is available for
AVR. Also there are quite cheap devel boards for AVR available.

Puppet_Sock

I'm doing an embedded systems college project this year.
[snip]

There are many fine newsgroups where this question
would be on topic. This is not one of them. Here we
talk only about the C++ standard language.

Start out by looking in groups.google.com for some
groups that talk about the kind of thing you want.
Socks