Embedded Systems Python?

Dennis Clark

Hi all,

I've looked through the threads about embedded Python that are a year
and a half old, and I thought that I'd ask this question now to see if
anything has changed.

Has anyone, or is anyone working with Python in an embedded Linux
environment? Mine is NO where near as constrained as a cell phone since
I've got plenty of memory to work with, I'm just running a Linux 2.4 kernel
on an ARM9 platform.

Are there success stories for Python on embedded Linux systems today?
The embedded Java JVM's seem to all be propriatary and have quite high
license fees (don't mention Kaffe, it seems pretty fragile to me.)

I'm a bit of a newb when it comes to Python, is there anyone with experience
compiling it on Linux platforms that can offer me pointers to try this out
myself?

thanks,
DLC

phil

I developed for my former employee a thin client whose primary purpose
was AS400 connectivity. This required a fairly complex interactive
gui configuration which I wrote in Python.
This system could also be configed by a remote manager. Wrote
that also in python using UDP sockets.
The hardware was 64Mb memory and 64Mb compact flash.

OS wa 2.4.20 linux from Debian

I did a lot of cleanup removing unneeded modules but
other than that, standard Python 2.3.4
worked great.

Michael Sparks

Dennis Clark wrote:
Has anyone, or is anyone working with Python in an embedded Linux
environment? Mine is NO where near as constrained as a cell phone since
I've got plenty of memory to work with, I'm just running a Linux 2.4
kernel on an ARM9 platform.

This really shouldn't be a problem - especially given python can be made
to run on mobile phones (Nokia Series 60). We've found using python on
Series 60 phones to be quite useful, so if you're using a linux box, you're
presumably got more memory/CPU available than there, so I doubt you'll
see major problems.

Regards,

Michael.

Diez B. Roggisch

Dennis said:
I'm a bit of a newb when it comes to Python, is there anyone with experience
compiling it on Linux platforms that can offer me pointers to try this out
myself?

Seatch for cross-compiling python patches. I'm working on an XScale255
platform with python2.2 and soon 2.3 - no trouble there.

Diez

Dennis Clark

Guys,

Thanks, that was all information that I wanted to hear. I have a
Cirrus Logic Linux port for the ARM9. I've no idea what the code
base is, I've not figured that out yet. I should just need to re-
compile on the platform.

thanks,
DLC