embedding console in wxpython app

Janto Dreijer

I'm writing a Linux filemanager using wxPython. I'd like to embed a
bash console inside it. I have found the Logilab pyqonsole
(http://www.logilab.org/projects/pyqonsole), but it uses PyQT.

Does anyone know how to do this from wx?
Is it possible to embed a PyQT widget inside wxPython?

Thanks!
Janto

Philippe Martin

Janto said:
I'm writing a Linux filemanager using wxPython. I'd like to embed a
bash console inside it. I have found the Logilab pyqonsole
(http://www.logilab.org/projects/pyqonsole), but it uses PyQT.

Does anyone know how to do this from wx?
Is it possible to embed a PyQT widget inside wxPython?

Thanks!
Janto

How about just using bash and rerouting stdin/stdout ?

Philippe

placid

Philippe said:
How about just using bash and rerouting stdin/stdout ?

What is that thing in Software Engineering (SE) ? that it is hard to
find simple solutions (or any problem in life for that matter)

I remember last year at uni we had to write this program (get
information from user save it somewhere) for a SE assignment. And half
the teams went off and used MySql to save data retrieved from the user
via a GUI. And in no part of the requirements document did it write ;

* Customer requires GUI frontend
* Customer needs MySql databases server usage to store data

So my team created a Command Line Program (i.e cmd module in python) as
the UI and used object Serialization (pickling in python) to files. So
we finished in half the time that other teams took (and many had to
drop the database server usage in the end) and stressed like tomorow
was Judgement Day. Oh yeah we designed our application so that it was
easy to create a GUI or change the Serialization to saving stuff into a
database and we had one of the top marks out of all the teams.

So OP, if you really dont need to embed bash inside wxPython, then dont
and use what Philippe suggested, unless its in the requirements :)

Cheers