    Thanks in advance,
    Kannan
    , Oct 6, 2005

  2. George Guest

    Lowercase the thing before applying hash function

    Helps?

    George

    <> wrote in message news:...
    Hello,
    I am using a method similar to
    http://blogs.bartdesmet.net/bart/archive/2004/12/25/515.aspx
    to store and retrieve passwords.

    Is there a way I can make the passoword comparison case-insensitive? I
    noticed that changing the case generated a completely different hash
    result.

    Thanks in advance,
    Kannan
    George, Oct 6, 2005

    True, that would work for new user signups.

    The problem is that there are over a thousand users already signed up
    for our service.

    I converted it to lower case and it generates a completly different
    result.
    , Oct 6, 2005
  4. Lucas Tam Guest

    wrote in news:1128628245.639314.83330
    @z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com:

    > True, that would work for new user signups.
    >
    > The problem is that there are over a thousand users already signed up
    > for our service.

    Hashes are case sensitive, so to create a case insensitve hash, you'll need
    to reset all the passwords : (

    --
    Lucas Tam ()

    Newmarket Volvo Sucks! http://newmarketvolvo.tripod.com
    Lucas Tam, Oct 6, 2005
  5. George Guest

    I see only one partial solution then
    Get 2 hashes one from lower case one from upper case and check both of them.

    You will be in a trouble if guy used both Capital and lower case letters.

    George.

    George, Oct 6, 2005
  6. Dan Guest

    Check the lower case version, if it fails, check the case as typed, if it
    passes, save the lower case hash result in the database. Next login for this
    user is case insensitive.

    Dan, Oct 7, 2005